Training Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nutcase, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Hi there everyone, feel free to ask me about training baby chicks from less than 1 week old! It's easy, I've done it and my 1 1/2 year old hen still responds to the prompts! [​IMG] Looking forward to hearing from you! This is darwinchooks sigining off!

2. BethanyS

BethanyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2012
    middle Tennessee
    I make my chicken call every time I feed my chicks. we also hold them all individually at least once a day. we usually hold them way more than that haha they like to be held and fall asleep in your hands. when I come to the box they all I am running to the edge and look up at me. what else can I do to train my chicks?

3. Nutcase

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Good job! You're doing great. Just having the chicks familiar with you is a big step. It helps if you give them names and train them individually - call them and offer them food. It's way easier if the others arent there to distract each other. I trained my chick named 'Charity' until she was full grown - she comes when called, stops when told to, jumps for food and walks along a metal rod. But if you make them do a lot without feeding them treats, you could ruin it all.

4. BethanyS

Nov 14, 2012
    middle Tennessee
    Aw that's so cool. it's a good idea calling them by their names. they actually got their first taste of cricket today I hand fed them some to the group then tell them all individually and gave them each one . there are at least 3 of them that love to ride on my arm when I put it in the box and when they do the rest want to also. my boyfriend started this game with them he calls it giving them a ride hahaha. I think this could be a bad idea. I can imagine when they are 8 full grown chickens wanting to ride on my arm. what do you think about the chick rides should I discourage it?

5. Nutcase

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Don't discourage chick rides that is SO cute! I even had one that used to ride on my shoulder as a pullet. Besides, when they are adults I don't think you'll be offering your arm to them for a ride! Although one pampered hen tries to vault up my legs sometimes for food which is a bit weird and annoying - but its not a problem. Just don't bring them close to your face...they'll be fascinated by your eyes and mouth and will peck very hard! I know from experience!

6. BethanyS

Nov 14, 2012
    middle Tennessee
    :) IT IS SUPER CUTE. we had a silky once that had a problem with picking teeth he also tried to drink my cellphone lol I guess because it was shiny like water. I have not had that problem with these. thank you for the warning though it is a startling experience haha I have been pleased with these chicks. they are much calmer cleaner and seems to be more intelligent than any other chicks we have had. although they still have time to start pecking my face and trying to eat my freckles ;-)

7. Nutcase

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Be careful with chicks pecking your face! Once I got pecked in the eye, and more recently in the mouth. My gums started bleeding! Just letting you know - the reflection of your eyes and even braces can attract them. AND, congrats for observing that contrary to popular to belief, chickens arent STUPID!!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by