training for kids?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Momma_mia, May 16, 2010.

1. Momma_mia

Momma_mia New Egg

May 7, 2010
    My daughter and I are raising 4 BR chicks for my mother-in-law. They are going to go out to her farm when a little older. We hope that they will be friendly with kids. My mother-in-law will have a lot of grandchildren soon. We hope that grandkids will be able to handle the chickens and gather eggs when visiting Grandma. Is there anything I can do to help them be better adjusted to people while I am raising them? My daughter and I handle them at least twice a day. We hold them and stroke them. They still seem nervous of us though (a week and a half old) and they always peck at my hands while reaching in for them. What do you suggest? Thanks!

2. micaheart

micaheart Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    I have found, the more you handle them, the more docile they get. Just keep doing what you're doing. My daughter and I use to put them on our laps while we watched TV, carry them around, pick them up as much as possible and give them treats!!! They'll be great! Have fun.

3. jujubean99

jujubean99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Handle them even more if possible, and. . .TREATS! You can feed them various nummy treats, like crushed up cheerios, mealworms, oats, and bunches of other 'people foods'. try hand feeding them as much as possible so they will associate people with good, pleasant things. hope this helps!

4. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Is this "Bunch of Grandchildren" currently in their infancy? If so, I am not sure there is anything you can do for these BR babies to prepare them for grandchildren who will gather eggs in two years. Most chickens are at their laying peak for about 2 years and then they wane dramatically (not always and it varies by breed).

The problem with chickens and very little kids is that the kids tend to be kind of rough unless very closely supervised AND they are at literally eye level with many standard breeds, It is not unusual for toddlers to be attacked or chased by hens who've had enough.

Jenny

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by