1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Training Geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Rondack, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Rondack

Rondack Songster

Feb 21, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Has anyone tried to train geese? Was is successful? I am about to buy geese.

2. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Songster 5 Years

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    Not sure what you mean by training. I have always trained my chickens and geese to come when they are called. That is simple as they learn that when you call them there is a treat to be had.

3. Rondack

Rondack Songster

Feb 21, 2015
    Upstate NY
    I wish my chickens would come when I call them...

4. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Crowing

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    What are you wanting them to do. Geese are fairly easy to train, unless your wanting them to do your taxes.

Rondack likes this.
  5. Rondack

Rondack Songster

Feb 21, 2015
    Upstate NY
    .... come when I call them, go in the coop and out when I command them to, attack unwanted visitors (optional).....

6. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Crowing

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Coming when called and going into the coop is fairly easy. Figure out their favorite treats and only give it to them when you give a specific call for them. They will soon learn that that call = treats. Getting them to go into their coop is also easy. Only give them their daily feed inside their coop and at a specific time like in the evening. And they'll be waiting in their coop for their feed every evening before long. Training to attack is just about impossible unfortunately sorry.

7. Rondack

Rondack Songster

Feb 21, 2015
    Upstate NY
    What if I made someone make noise/annoy the geese and just when they are about to attack I say "Attack!"? They would see that "attack" means attack, right?

8. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Crowing

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Its worth a shot, but I have my doubts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: