Training Ideas 4 Pony

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by BobwhiteQuailLover, Jun 16, 2011.

1. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Hey Guys!
    I am training one of my trainers horse for her, and I have been working on walk/trot some cantering, low 12'' jumps, trotting barrels, and picking up the correct lead. Any ideas for a game I could try on him?
    I don't want to have ANY fighting on this thrread so be nice and dont be telling me I shouldn't be training horses, because I can easily handle it.

2. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Are you looking for games to make training more fun for the pony, or are you trying to teach him to do gymkhana stuff?

3. NotInThecity

NotInThecity Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2011
    Make sure it has a really good stop on it. Voice commands are nice--especially a "whoa" command. Try different patterns using a variety of circles, straight lines, stops, turns, backing up. Just make them up and use various gates. Can you pick up something from off a barrel, sidepass in the middle of the arena or over logs, walk over/in between a flour lines placed on the ground, mount/dismount from the 'wrong side' of the pony?

That being said, a good set of basics on the horse/pony will let it be able to do just about anything.

As for a game, I remember a few 'odd' timed events we used to have that were different. The key to most of these was having a horse that was calm and that would listen to the rider. Although these listed below are timed events, they show some basics that every horse needs to know and they don't have to be done with speed. Just try walking/trotting through some of them.

1) A keyhole race--a flour keyhole type shape is placed at the middle of the arena. Competitors run to the keyhole, enter the 'lane' of the keyhole, stop and turn a 180 in the circle type part and exit back out the lane and race to the timer line. A 5 second penalty each time the horse stepped out of the flour markings. Some horses would not like the flour on the ground and wouldn't go in, others couldn't get the horse stopped in time and basically ran through the obstacle (which was disqualification). Some shows required you to stay in the circle for 5 seconds(a timer person would tell you when to go.) This is one where the 'slow show horses' actually did better than the gaming horses sometimes.

2) Quadangle race--basically 4 poles or cones set up in a square pattern. You race down the middle, make 4 left or 4 right turns around each corner of the square, and race back through the middle. (Setting this one up larger can help getting the horse to do nice turns/circles for patterns.)

3) Egg and Spoon. Not a race, but more in the rail category. It tests how smooth your horse is and how smooth your seat/hands are. Basically go through the different gaits of the horse while carrying a boiled egg on a spoon--but you can't touch the egg, just hold the end of the spoon. (Slow, smooth show horses usually took this class.) If you can do this at all gaits, try circles/patterns.

Trail obstacles would also be something to try. Logs, mailbox, bridge,gate, etc.

Again, I can't emphasize enough, make sure it knows the basics and knows them well. Especially the stop. (I had a young horse I was working with several years ago, went to a show and it panicked in a class and tried to buck. Everytime it did I said "whoa" and it would stop for a bit. (We just had to keep 'stopping' until the announcer was able to get the people to stop racing and yelling on the right on the outside of the arena during the 2 year old class. After that the horse was fine and we weren't the only pair having trouble--another pony started running during this. Some people...)

4. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Well we work on the same thing everytime, so I wanted to change it to make it less boring.

5. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    You could try some Dressage patterns. [​IMG]

6. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Eww i hate dressage! No offense! hehe

7. QH Girl

QH Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Lots of trot-overs, raised and low. Getting them to back through/around stuff is helpful too - backing around barrels, cones. The key is to make him think [​IMG]

8. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

You could set up trail class obstacles, bridges, pool noodle gates, things in a mailbox etc... put poles on the ground in patters and trot over them..... side pass logs or cones, pick up small flags and move to another location...... keep him thinking

9. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Thank you guys!
    I am also showing him in Jumper 12'', 18'', & 2' at my trainers show in July. I showed him last year, but now all he wants to do is run away with me, he won't stop either.... how can I calm him down?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  10. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I would work him on the rail at a walk. At anytime he tries to go faster then you want him to go, stop him and back him.Continue on to the trot only when he is listening well at the walk. Also teach him to give to the bit and yield in a circle. If you have RFD TV I'd watch Clinton Anderson or some of the other trainers to get some ideas. If he is running off with you, no one should be jumping him, he should go back to basic training as he has missed some lessons. A run away horse is a dangerous horse.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by