Training my serama to do tricks. Pictures!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Ondra's Seramas, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    I have started training my pet quality serama, Buckeye. I am going to do what this http://docs.google.com/gview?a=v&q=cache:mypASlNZ_vMJ:vein.library.usyd.edu.au/links/Trainingchicken.pdf+how+to+train+a+chicken&hl=en&gl=us&sig=AFQjCNGrlGuLuaAvNF5ILwOZKn3VHnFsXQ says to. So far he will peck a black dot, follow it around and then peck it, and run to the dot to peck it. It is soooo cute!! Of course, now whenever he sees a black dot anywhere, he runs to peck it, expecting a treat. I can't stand to see him looking at me with that cute little eye, expecting his reward. Guess I will have to toughen up! [​IMG]
    Now I am training him to peck the key h on the keyboard. next he will learn to peck the letter i.
    I use wetted down food as a treat. He likes lettuce better, but that would be wwaaaayyy too messy. As it is, he sprays food everywhere.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More pictures and info on http://seramas.net/drupal/?q=node/17 . Feel free to comment!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Cool! Teach him to post to BYC! That would be so neat!

3. denasfarm

denasfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama!!
    I use to do agility with my dogs and at one training seminar we were broken up into small groups and given a chicken to train as part of the trainer training.
    So we had a week to clicker train the chicken to do one trick. Some chickens were weaving, some jumping short jumps and running small sequences.

Get a clicker from petsmart or similar store and first teach the bird the click means food. Click feed, click feed, for a few hours. When the click means eat then start with something simple.

Amazing! Works with Rats too!

I may have to go clicker train some my birds now!
    We should have a video competition on here with a prize for the most amazing sequence, fastest run, etc...

4. Ondra's Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    Quote:Cool!

He is clicker trained. He really caught on fast.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  5. Ondra's Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    Buckeye finally figured out the h on the keyboard and now pecks it consistently,even when he can see all the keys!

Training log:

11.13.09 12:00-12:20
    Goal:peck H without paper on keyboard, review target training.
    Circumstance: Moderately busy
    Responses:
    1-10: Peck target, follow it in circles and figure eights, etc.
    10-20: Consistently choosing J to peck when 6 keys were visible.
    21:peck H!
    21-30: Peck H with 6 keys visible
    31-37:peck h with ALL keys visible!!

Summary: He got the j confused with the green h for about 10 pecks. I didn't reward him. He finally pecked h and got rewarded, and continued pecking h. I took away the paper covering the other keys and he continued to peck h.

6. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    I wish I could see this! You'll just have to make us post for picture rewards!

7. Ondra's Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    I have some more pictures on my blog. I also got some movies, but I can't post those until I update my website. Soon hopefully. Here is one from his training session today:

[​IMG]

Disclaimer: Buckeye is a PET QUALITY Serama. He is not a good representation of the breed, nor is he what I sell. He is just a great pet.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  8. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Is that purple thing on his rear side a "diaper"?

9. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

When you open up your Serama Training Academy, I would like an application for Pip please. [​IMG]

He is highly intelligent and would be a wonderful asset to your academy... [​IMG]

Nice job Ondra! I think I now have a winter project!

10. Ondra's Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    Quote:It is. It was meant for a different chicken, but it fits.

Believe it or not, there is a chicken training facility. http://www.collegeforpets.com/chickens.htm
    I
    have been told I need to open an online one. Maybe in the future..........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by