Training my young chicks.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ChortleChic, Jun 12, 2011.

1. ChortleChic

ChortleChic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2011
    I have 13 hens and 2 roos, all between 8 and 10 weeks old. They've been outside for about three weeks in their coop / chicken yard. Last week I've started letting them wander in the human yard when I'm out gardening. They come charging out and love the grass and brush. Getting them back in the fenced area is a different story. I've tried getting the lead roo in first to see if everyone else would follow but no luck. I just bought some scratch and make a clucking noise and they come running when they're in their yard but when in my yard it doesn't seem to captivate them like when they're captive. Any suggestions on chicken round-up?[​IMG]

2. jinxschuh

jinxschuh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Northern Utah
    I've been saying 'shew shew' with my arms stretched out and swinging them in the direction I want them to go. It took a while for them to catch on, but now I don't have to worry about the straglers because they eventually catch up. I've been shaking a bag of treats (corn flakes or what ever I have that morning) to get them to come to me and they finally seemed to catch on this morning that the noise of the shaking bag means 'come quick if you want to get in on the mornings treats). I think what ever you decide you just need to stay consitant and eventually they will catch on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by