Training pigeons

Cassandragrenr

Songster
Jul 15, 2022
Sweden, södermanland
I've seen people train pigeons, like free flight training, recall training etc.
I want to get pigeons but I have absolutely no idea on how to train them! I want to be able to have them free range with my other poultry, so free flight training.
So what are the basics to training pigeons? What's the best breed to train? Etc :)

Training pigeons to return to your loft and enter when you want them to is quite easy if you start with young birds (squeakers ) that have left the nest but never flown outside free.

If however you buy older pigeons from another keeper that have already been trained to return to his loft it can be hard to break the habit.

With the young birds you should aim to feed them at the same time every day, whenever you feed them inside the loft shake the food in a tin and use a call or whistle, the idea is they will associate the call or whistle along with the rattling of the corn in the tin with feeding time. When the young pigeons are old enough to fly as far as a nearby roof let them out before you feed them so they are very hungry, after an hour or so shake the corn tin and do your call or whistle and they should fly down and back into the loft. Be patient, if they seem reluctant throw a little bit of corn into the loft to encourage them. After a couple of weeks the pigeons will be flying quite well and ranging a bit but as long as they are hungry they will return. Once they are flying well you can basket them and take them a mile or two from the house and gradually increase the distance. When I raced pigeons I would jump from 2 miles to 20 miles and that was the furthest they needed and I knew I could send them 100 miles or more and they would return.

Older birds that are already used to one loft are much harder to train to come back to your loft. Sometimes keeping them in the loft for a month will work, sometimes pairing them up with an opposite sex will work but don't be surprised if they persist on returning to their original loft. I had a few that stayed with me and were flying out happily for two or more years only for them to have a change of mind and return to their original home.

Pigeons in general have to love where they live, this applies even more to racing pigeons, it is this love for their home that provides the incentive to race home so it is up to you to provide everything they need. Besides food and water and dry airy accomodation pigeons need fresh grit at hand constantly as well as mineral blocks etc, a safe area to bathe ( pigeons love to bathe ) and preferably a 'picking spot ' or somewhere like a small sand pit with bits of small shell, sea coal etc where they can pick about, they also like fresh greens like kale. Always try to wear the same clothes when you are with the pigeons so they get used to seeing you and are not scared of you, never try to grab one to pick it up, always move slowly and steady, the aim is to get your pigeons to trust you 100% and although they are not keen on being handled most will trust you when you do need to pick one up.

I've seen people train pigeons, like free flight training, recall training etc.
I want to get pigeons but I have absolutely no idea on how to train them! I want to be able to have them free range with my other poultry, so free flight training.
So what are the basics to training pigeons? What's the best breed to train? Etc :)
Generally, pigeons will not associated with other poultry. They may stop by where feed is, but other poultry may be aggressive towards the pigeons.
You will need separate housing for your pigeons.
I know instances where peeps had one coop, and housed both. They had top portion separated from lower portion, and pigeons had their own entrance up above.
If you want the pigeons to hang around just in your garden,, then opt for Fantails, or King Pigeons. They may hang with your other poultry, but generally keep a safe distance.
Above post;;; you got good advice from Casso. That is for Homing pigeons.
All racers are homing pigeons. Not all homing pigeons are racers.

My suggestion,,, is seek out the pigeon keepers that you would potentially purchase from. Ask them all you need to know. If they are reluctant to help you with info,,, seek someone else.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

Back
Top Bottom