Training quail to poultry waterer?

MamaBirds_Quail

Chirping
Aug 25, 2022
52FEFDBF-8D24-4552-A249-5786A2CA1AF2.jpeg

I got this Manna Pro waterer a week ago thinking it would be a genius way to water my growing flock without the huge footprint of the traditional poultry waterer s but like, my borbs be DUMB! They can’t figure out how to refill these cups so I’m going out every few hours to make sure they’re full and this is only with the 10 older birds! When I add the chickies this week/next there will be THREE TIMES as many little mouthes to moisten! 🤦🏻‍♀️

Has anyone gotten quail to use this? Are there any other non-round/sprawling waterers that hold say 2-5 gallons so I don’t have to do water every day? Preferably plastic as I’m hoping to insulate the outside instead of running power for a heater 🤞🏻 It’s not frequently below freezing for long periods here, we have isolated very cold days and some snow/ice but the sustained temperatures are high 30’s or higher.

Unrelated: look what happened to my “grou fee”! She’s brown! But a much lighter brown than my other rosettas — she’s the embodiment of the “greige” trend in housepaint 😆

My older birds have THE leakiest browns I’ve ever seen! The weakest fee genes? It’s been wild to watch them color morph!

They won't fill up like you have it. They knock the tongue so it just barely dribbles out. Mine use them fine, even the chicks. You might see them dry up, that's fine.

They won't fill up like you have it. They knock the tongue so it just barely dribbles out. Mine use them fine, even the chicks. You might see them dry up, that's fine.
You mean how I have it set up? I put it on a stone because they were scratching the bedding and burying the cups in litter otherwise, are maybe just *my* quail too dumb for this? 😅 the water level hasn’t moved nearly enough for them to be drinking so I put an open bowl and they all swarmed it.

Show quail where water is by gently dunking a few of their beaks into the water source. I don't think those cups are meant to stay full, I am pretty sure they're meant to only have a little water in the bottom.

You could just take them out and screw in some horizontal nipples, I've never had issues with them so long as you have multiple.

You mean how I have it set up? I put it on a stone because they were scratching the bedding and burying the cups in litter otherwise, are maybe just *my* quail too dumb for this? 😅 the water level hasn’t moved nearly enough for them to be drinking so I put an open bowl and they all swarmed it.
I mean how full they are. By all means elevate the cups.

View attachment 3280386
I got this Manna Pro waterer a week ago thinking it would be a genius way to water my growing flock without the huge footprint of the traditional poultry waterer s but like, my borbs be DUMB! They can’t figure out how to refill these cups so I’m going out every few hours to make sure they’re full and this is only with the 10 older birds! When I add the chickies this week/next there will be THREE TIMES as many little mouthes to moisten! 🤦🏻‍♀️

Has anyone gotten quail to use this? Are there any other non-round/sprawling waterers that hold say 2-5 gallons so I don’t have to do water every day? Preferably plastic as I’m hoping to insulate the outside instead of running power for a heater 🤞🏻 It’s not frequently below freezing for long periods here, we have isolated very cold days and some snow/ice but the sustained temperatures are high 30’s or higher.
I also used drink cups for my bobs. They never did understand how to use them even with weeks of trying. The Japanese quail pick it up within seconds. I sent all the bobs to freezer camp. I will no longer raise bobs.

Back
Top Bottom