training to use new waterer

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by canadian flock, Aug 20, 2013.

1. canadian flock

canadian flock Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2013
    St. George ON
    I recently ordered 5 chicken drinking cups. They are basically little orange cups with a lever inside. When the chickens move the lever with their beak, water comes out. It's actually pretty nifty and I rigged up a pvc waterer to screw them into. The only problem is that they haven't figured out how to make the water come out. I have taken out their other waterer to try to make them pay more attention to it. I have been filling them with my finger frequently throughout the day but school is coming up and I won't be around to do that. Any ideas?

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Are the cups mounted at the correct height? Generally, one chicken figures out how to use a nipple and the rest follow suit. Have you watched to see if one can use the cups?

Chris

3. canadian flock

Jul 3, 2013
    St. George ON
    The cups are level with the flat part of there backs. They drink what I have filled, and move on from cup to cup.

4. rileyelliott

rileyelliott Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2013
    hi there! i just bought these, too. how did this end up. did your chickens ever start drinking from it?

5. canadian flock

Jul 3, 2013
    St. George ON
    actually they did. I left it with them as well as another waterer because i was afraid of them going without water because they couldn't figure it out. I was putting them away for the night when I saw them drinking out of it. Put another hen in with them (they were separated due to being unready to integrate) because of bullying issues. The new hen saw them using it and picked up on it really fast. Haven't had an issue with them except when one decided to perch on the cup which pushed the lever. Big puddle but it's not a big deal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by