training treat ????

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by piecemaker, May 6, 2011.

1. piecemaker

piecemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    A few weeks ago we got a 6 year old male Boxer. Hank is super about not trying to eat people food. I need to work on his recall and was going to use hot dogs for treats but dont want to mess up the fact that I dont have to worry about him eating people food. You can leave food in reach and he doesn't even try to get it. What other kind of (cheap) treat do you use. Or am I just worrying to much about the food thing. DH has always fed the other (3) dogs from his plate and I HATE it. I hate that you have all these eyes looking at you and begging, so I dont want to mess up Hank. Also we don't eat hot dogs that often.

Thanks for any help
    piecemaker

2. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    You don't have to worry about him suddenly becoming people food oriented from hot dogs in training. Training is a very specific activity and its associated things, such as food aren't going to have a negative impact on him. With that said, there are always those strange dogs who somehow figure this out....but I really wouldn't worry if it were me. Another super training treat is string cheese and because it comes in the stick form and in the plastic wraps there's not much chance of him associating that with other people food. [​IMG]

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    We use the natural balance rolls because no matter how much you feed the dog they are still getting a diet balanced and designed for a dog. It may not be the best diet out there but it still ranks above most grocery store foods and probably half to 3/4ths of the foods in the pet store. If we spend all day doing things off and on to the point they don't eat their normal meals there is no health risk. The different flavored rolls have very different texture so some dogs may not like some rolls but they sell sample rolls for $1 if you want to try them out. Ours don't really go for the turkey which tends to be less moist and more rubbery than the others but it is the least messy and cuts in to the neatest pieces. The beef is one of the few treats that motivate my akita and the only thing that's worked better on the shiba was boiled pork rib meat but that made for rather greasy treats.

4. piecemaker

piecemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    Thanks to both yall for the help. I fell better now about the hot dogs. Now to work on the separation anxity (sp)
    piecemaker

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by