1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

training young flock

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenlyn, Jul 29, 2010.

1. chickenlyn

chickenlyn In the Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Chateaugay
    How can I convince my young flock not to use the nesting boxes for bedrooms? I just built a henhouse after the Amish style ones I have seen, with six nesting boxes attached. Last night I went to check on them after I got home from church and the roosters had crowded about ten chickens into one nesting box. Will the hens know to use them when the time comes? I have golf balls in them for suggestion.

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Until they come close to laying, I'd block off the nest boxes at night time. They'll know where to go when the time has come to lay eggs and will have learned not to sleep in there by then (hopefully). Just be sure your roosts are higher than your nest boxes. And you may need to go into the coop at bedtime to place them up on the roosts for a while (days, a week maybe) until they get the hang of sleeping up there. Golf balls are a good idea when they're approching the point of lay.

3. chickenlyn

Jul 29, 2010
    Chateaugay
    This is all new to me. It seems as they are displaying breeding behavior they should be close to laying. The rooster has been grabbing a couple of the hens by the neck, his idea of foreplay! They free range all day, so I am searching their hiding places for eggs. my concern is that they will get into the habit of laying under the roses or the big spruce and never figure out the nesting boxes. Putting them up on the roosts is a good idea. The only time I get to pet them is when they've
    put themselves to bed anyway.

4. ADozenGirlz

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:How old are your chickens? Do you have a run attached to the chicken coop? If so, you may want to keep them confined to the run until they get in a good laying habit in the nest boxes. They'll be no worse off for a short period of run confinement. They'll have to EARN free-range time! It's easier to train them on the front end than to try to break bad habits after they've been established.
    Are your hens doing the submissive squatting thing yet? If so, that's a definite sign of imminent eggs!

5. chickenlyn

Jul 29, 2010
    Chateaugay
    That's a terrible idea, they'll get mad a t me!LOL! They have a good sized run, and I spotted one hen clucking a lot and going into a nest box this morning, but nothing except a lot of scratching in the hay. She looked uncomfortable; maybe I am too sympathetic because I remember childbirth.

6. ADozenGirlz

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:LOL, you're funny. They'll figure it out. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by