1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Training your chickens…

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fishandchix1, Oct 21, 2015.

1. fishandchix1

fishandchix1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2015
    Ocean City, Maryland
    I read that you can train your chickens simple commands like to come and stay. Who here has done that and how did you do it. I would really like to teach mine to do that I think that would be really cool. Let me know!

2. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  3. lovemy6hens

lovemy6hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    They're definitely motivated by food. I'd love to know how to train them to stay. Does anyone have suggestions for that?

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
  5. lovemy6hens

lovemy6hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    Thank you, @centrarchid!

6. JacksFarmNGardn

JacksFarmNGardn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2015
    New York
    I'm just working on training my lil chick chick to perch on my hand,lol and when she gets bigger my arm,so i can walk around with her like a parakeet without her worrying im gonna drop her or she'll fall. I'm still new to owning my own chickens,but i want to try letting mine out for a bit to free range this spring and be able to call them to go in their run. I think my food container may help train,they go nuts and follow me when they see it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by