Tramatic Brain Injury?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by tarutgers, Mar 13, 2013.

1. tarutgers

tarutgers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2013
    Minnesota
    March is Tramatic Brain Injury Awareness month. Is anybody else out there dealing with this issue? Mine was motorcycle/deer accident June 9th 2012, coming up on a year soon. Can't believe all the changes my path has taken in less than a year! Chickens coming in May...that will make it ALL BETTER! Giggle

2. tarutgers

Feb 16, 2013
    Minnesota
    Really? Im the only one?

3. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    my husband fractured his skull July 4, 2001. It's been a hard time, even to this day. I remember September 18, 2001 waking up in bed and my husband looked at me and said "do I know you?"
    The doctor took me aside later that week and told me - Most marriages don't last more than 5 years after a traumatic brain injury. You need to accept the fact that the person you married died the day he had that accident.
    And, really, it is true. Even the basics of his personality changed, even more so after that morning on Sept 18. In some ways, I envy his memory loss - he doesn't know a time before. But it can be very difficult for me at times. I remember the old him and sometimes I catch myself comparing him to himself, the old self anyway.
    Most people don't understand what actually happens in a traumatic brain injury.

Best of luck to you and may you make a full and speedy recovery

1 person likes this.
  4. tarutgers

Feb 16, 2013
    Minnesota
    Dainerra thanks so much for posting! One of the hardest things is getting everyone to realize that even if you look the same you aren't and no matter how hard you try you may never be that person again. My husband injuries from the accident were life threatening, mine my head! In the past year he gave up his main street office, we have lost our house, kids have been thru so much. I know Backyard Chickens isn't the place to air ones pain, just looking for some understanding.

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I was kicked in the head by a horse many years ago. As a result I stutter or occasionally think one word and say another. I spent time in speech therapy and at one time volunteered for a research project.

1 person likes this.
  6. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011

anywhere you feel safe confiding is others is a good place :)

I'm sorry that you have lost so much. I know that Ronnie's accident was especially hard on the kids. Youngest turned 1 in '01 and oldest was about to turn 6. Very hard to explain to her why her Daddy had no interest in her birthday party, let alone why he didn't know her name or even remember her. :( My MIL had just left in Aug after staying with us while he was recovering the first time. When he lost his memory, she came back. I couldn't leave him alone - there was no way I could trust that he wouldn't wander off.
    I don't think I slept from July to December that year. And of course there was all the 9-11 panic. Plus, that was when Dale Earnhardt died, so skull fractures were all over the news so I cried every time I picked up the paper. There was less than 2mm difference between the injury that killed him and my husband's

1 person likes this.
  7. tarutgers

Feb 16, 2013
    Minnesota
    I am so thankful my children did not lose both their parents that day. Each day is a blessing!!! My starting this chicken adventure will be great therapy!! Already the research and preparation have been great brain exercise! My oldest literally ran to college in September, having been the man for 3you months to his little sister and his parents. I am hoping that having the chickens will be a way to get to know each other again...something new and fresh. I thank you Dainerra!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by