Trampled and sick Welsh Harlequin

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ccook, Jan 25, 2015.

1. ccook

ccook New Egg

Jan 25, 2015
    So it has been raining here for a while and the bottom of the coop has gotten very muddy. This morning we went to let the ducks out and four out of my eleven ducks looked like they had been trampled by the others and were stuck in the mud. We got them out and cleaned them off. Then we put the for injured ducks in the top of the coop where they could keep warm and be safe from the other ducks. We made sure that they had water and turned on the heat lamp because they were shaking. When the ducks tried to walk, they were using their wings to push themselves along. Their feet were pigeon toed and their legs would not support their own weight. The two injured males and one female are cleaning themselves now, but their feathers have still not dried out even with the new hay and heat lamp. The other female didn't make it! Does anyone know what might have happened and what we can do to keep it from recurring? Also, what can we do to help the other three and keep them alive?

2. tdd2

tdd2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2014
    SEPA, USA
    How long were they in the mud?
    What was the approximate temperature out/in the mud?
    How old are they?

It sounds like they might have been there for some time, and got cold and wet through their feathers.

It might be a bit late now, but anytime a duck gets cold/wet through their feathers, bring them inside!

If they are dirty, give them a quick bath in the tub in warm water - no soap.

Dry them WELL with clean dry and preferrably, dryer warmed towels.

Wrap them in a clean dry, warmed towel, and offer them room temperature water (with added Poultry Nutri-drench or Save-A-Chick if you have it)

Don't put them back out until they are fully dry under their feathers!

Getting cold/wet through can be deadly (as you've seen) - it is extremely stressful to their bodies, and that doesn't include any added stresses from trying to free themselves.

Hope that helps, good luck and sorry about the one that didn't pull through.

If your others are still outside, and wet - get them inside/clean/dry and warm ASAP! Just a heat lamp won't do it - the feathers are keeping the wetness in...

Dan

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I agree with all Dan has said but I would strongly suggest bringing all of them in especially if they are ducklings and aren't completely feathered. Very sorry for your loss.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  4. ccook

ccook New Egg

Jan 25, 2015

Thank you both. Right after you posted yesterday, we brought the other three inside and gave them a warm bath. They really perked up and started acting normal again. We dried them off and heated up our small utility room for them. They spent the night in there and are much better and thoroughly dry. However, they still can't walk very well. I dont know what to do about that. They are using their beaks and wings to help them walk.

By the way, they are three months old and full sized. Most all of their coloring has fully come out too.

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Wouldn't hurt to pick up some Brewers yeast and start putting it in their feed it could be a niacin dif and if using chicken feed it doesn't have enough for ducklings also pick up some good poultry vitamins and start putting it in their water daily to start then when you see improvement cut back to every other day then 1X a week there after. I really like Poultry Nutri Drench and can be bought at TSC. Hopefully if you start this asap you'll see improvements in about 5-7 days Do they have a good appetite?we usually start seeing leg problems earlier and you could have had subtle things going on but this really brought it out. The only other thing I can think is a good vet. also water[warm] theraphy when you can supervise watch how they move their legs in the water this kind of therapy is really good to help them strengthen their leg muscles, maybe 1X a day for now. [never leave a duck with leg troubles unattended in water.]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  6. ccook

ccook New Egg

Jan 25, 2015

Thank you for the suggestions. We will give it a try. It is just weird that it was only the four that were trampled that had the feet problem. They seemed to do really well last night in the warm water in the bathtub. Hopefully they will recover.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It may just take some time to recoup but getting the weight off their legs in a nice warm bath can help relieve pressure. It could be something else but both suggestions I gave you are fairly inexpensive so worth a try. Have you felt their legs up and down for any injuries swelling heat?

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by