Trampled & Skinny Pullet — Thanks for helping

I'd have given her electrolyte/vitamins first.
But finish off the corid regime now that you've started it,
then maybe do a dose of EL/Vit.
Small dose recipe in here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-extreme-weather-spiel.75893/

Poops could be loose just because of drinking more than eating.
Is it hot there where you are?

Hard to know why she's skinny and how long that might have been a factor.
Have you had her since she was a day old chick?

I'd just keep her isolated for a few days and closely monitor:
-their intake of food and water,
-crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed),
-and their poops.
Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling.
Check for external parasites or any other abnormalities.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

I'd have given her electrolyte/vitamins first.
But finish off the corid regime now that you've started it,
then maybe do a dose of EL/Vit.
Small dose recipe in here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-extreme-weather-spiel.75893/

Poops could be loose just because of drinking more than eating.
Is it hot there where you are?

Hard to know why she's skinny and how long that might have been a factor.
Have you had her since she was a day old chick?

I'd just keep her isolated for a few days and closely monitor:
-their intake of food and water,
-crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed),
-and their poops.
Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling.
Check for external parasites or any other abnormalities.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.
Ah, guess I made a bad decision on that front, I was just worried coccidiosis might have been the reason for her skinniness and part of the reason she couldn’t get back up to avoid being trampled even though the twine did make it hard. Today is the 3rd day for it, so I have two more days.

I have the packets of vitamins & electrolytes made by durvet, do you think those will work? It has been in the 90s lately, but she’s inside right now.

I have had her since she was a chick, I just now noticed how skinny she was. I checked her crop last night after I got home from work ( 10pm ) and it wasn’t very full, but she had food in there. I sat with her and watched for about an hour and she ate a good bit before taking a few drinks before laying back down. Do you think she’s not eating a whole lot because she’s still in pain? Do you think I’m at a point where I need to tube feed her?

Anyways, she hasn’t started laying yet but should I still feel her abdomen for lumps?

I have the packets of vitamins & electrolytes made by durvet, do you think those will work? It has been in the 90s lately, but she’s inside right now.
Should be fine. Not sure about the smaller recipe tho.
I measured out a packet in teaspoons then did the math to get smaller portions,
because a whole gallon was more than I needed.

Do you think she’s not eating a whole lot because she’s still in pain? Do you think I’m at a point where I need to tube feed her?
Probably more because of the heat. They don't eat as much when they are hot and/or dehydrated. Give her some time.

Anyways, she hasn’t started laying yet but should I still feel her abdomen for lumps?
Looking more for overall swelling(water belly) and/or lumps.
Compare to other birds.

Should be fine. Not sure about the smaller recipe tho.
I measured out a packet in teaspoons then did the math to get smaller portions,
because a whole gallon was more than I needed.

Probably more because of the heat. They don't eat as much when they are hot and/or dehydrated. Give her some time.

Looking more for overall swelling(water belly) and/or lumps.
Compare to other birds.
Oh, okay, I didn’t know if you were meaning to look for egg binding or laying internally. I’ll check her when I got off of work later tonight, but I don’t recall feeling anything out of the ordinary other than her being skinny when I picked her up and did the initial look over.

This is not for any particular reason, but how long does it usually take for them to bounce back from things like this?

her being skinny when I picked her up and did the initial look over.
Is she skinnier than your other birds of the same breed?
How are you determining 'skinny' ...musculature around keel bone?

This is not for any particular reason, but how long does it usually take for them to bounce back from things like this?
I can't give you a number of days. But as long as she's eating(determined by crop check at night) and has good solid poops within a couple days...the rest will just take time if she was already out of condition before the string incident.

Is she skinnier than your other birds of the same breed?
How are you determining 'skinny' ...musculature around keel bone?

I can't give you a number of days. But as long as she's eating(determined by crop check at night) and has good solid poops within a couple days...the rest will just take time if she was already out of condition before the string incident.
Yeah, she’s skinnier than my other salmon faverolles that are the same age. And, yeah, I felt around her keel bone/chest/breast/whatever.

Okay, thank you. It seems like it’s a waiting game, I’m just worried I’ll wake up or get back from work and find her dead. She’s still eating, drinking & walking around some, so I guess that’s something. Also, would duck eggs or chicken eggs be more nutritious to give her?

Also, would duck eggs or chicken eggs be more nutritious to give her?
More nutritious than what?
I just feed a 20% all flock type crumble and feel that's all they need,
except for a weekly dose of EL/Vits during heat waves.

I know you feel you need to do something extra, but patience is the best medicine, IMO

More nutritious than what?
I just feed a 20% all flock type crumble and feel that's all they need,
except for a weekly dose of EL/Vits during heat waves.

I know you feel you need to do something extra, but patience is the best medicine, IMO
I didn’t know if I should give her scrambled eggs as a boost since I can’t give her the vitamins & electrolytes due to the CORID. She’s eating 20% chick starter right now.

I didn’t know if duck eggs had more nutritional value than chickens eggs, vice versa or if they were about the same. I gave her a cooked duck egg the first day, I didn’t know if I needed to give her anymore.

Back
Top Bottom