tranining ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by smokeyodie97, Jan 25, 2011.

1. smokeyodie97

smokeyodie97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    MISSISSIPPI
    Do yall think its possible to train ducks to go to my neighbor's pond and swim and come back home at night?

2. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    as long as the neighbors fine with them swimming in it they will probably find it on there own, and the trick will be getting them to come out of it but with some "training" it can be done.

3. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Do yall think its possible to train ducks to go to my neighbor's pond and swim and come back home at night?

LOL........ I'm sure you won't have to train them. They may just do it. Problem is, will your neighbors mind??? The trick will be teaching them NOT to go over there........ hahaha. Good luck. [​IMG]

4. 1duckychick

1duckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Getting the neighbors on board and then getting the ducks to come back out are the two biggest obstacles!

We just moved a couple months ago and our new place has an awesome brook running along the outskirts of the property. It took about 3 days to get my crew into the routine of getting over and coming back. Well, the getting over part only took 1 trip - once I finally herded them across the lawn to the waters edge they were in and had the route commited to memory! The next morning I opened the shed doors and they all streamlined it right back over to the same spot as the day before! Now getting them to come out of the brook was another thing entirely! We had to coax them out with bowls of treats and it took me, the hubby and both kids to wrangle them! By the fourth night we had the routine down to just me and the hubby and just as it hit dusk and we were heading out to get them, there they were single-filing back across the yard to their pen. That was the routine until mother nature dropped the freeze on us!

5. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I think you could do it. Ours know when it's time to go to bed. If we come out at night with the flash light they go straight into their house with out a problem. It took a week or two of rounding them up and herding them in, but now it's so easy to put them to bed.

6. smokeyodie97

smokeyodie97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    MISSISSIPPI
    What breed would be the smartest

7. duck_shepherdess

duck_shepherdess Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm told muscovies are pretty smart and more capable of taking care of themselves than your average duck. The downside is they may be smart enough to know that they would prefer not to come in at night. Maybe a particularly docile/glutinous breed would be better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by