Trans hen/roo?

LindaLouBird

Chirping
Jul 30, 2022
Got my first 3 pullets ever, 1 month old triplet RIR's, in May. Added young black hen & buff orp in August. Those 2 were tight. The 5 hens of different breeds & lightly different ages got along, though they picked on the Orp, who was super sweet & a little smaller, weaker. Then # 5, a Barred Rock (Jailbird). Until a dog attack killed black Licorice & Buff Orp (Butterscotch was alone). Got her another black hen friend. 2nd attack by neighbors dog took 1 big RIR, & Butterscotch. No one had laid yet. 3RD ATTACK took Jailbird. Let the trauma 5settle & the 2 remaining RIR's began to lay. Got the black one a friend, another barred rock. Got 5th. small ISA brown, who gets pushed around & isolated every once in a while so she can get a decent meal. 2 big RIR's rotate leadership & lay regularly. The black & barred one were due to start, little brown unlikely but I love that runt. Last week, a new white egg. But whose? Then I caught the Rock mount the black one. Huh? Did I really see that? I thought she might be gay! ...I learned that a hen may take on rooster's role. Huh? Now he's jumping her often. Today, he(?) ripped her comb. He only has eyes for her, not the RIR boss hens, or the little one. She appears to be getting it hard & often for 3 days now. I guess I'm still surprised. The questions are - 1. Why has he never crowed? 2. Why has it not been aggressive towards me like others I have read about? 3. Will he/it go for the little one? The 2 big queens? 2. Will it get nasty? Start to be aggressive with me? 3. Make good soup?

Last edited:
Thanks, Youngfarmer! She's the elusive one, hard to catch. When necessary, I resort to my big fishing net. I can't imagine getting caught up in one after getting sexually assaulted. Only to have the big lunch lady poke at it some more. Yikes!

Sounds pretty crazy.
Where did you get these birds?
How old(in weeks or months) were they when you got them and how old are they now?
Did you just toss the news ones in or do some kind of integration?
What is their housing like, size of coop and run in feet by feet?
Dimension and pics would help here.

Finally, the way to determine the gender of a chicken is not by looking for sperm after a male mounts. Pics of birds showing hackle(around neck) and saddle(above tail) feathers is.

Can you post some pictures of your flock? It's EXTREMELY rare that a bird changes gender, it's mostly something that can be found in certain types of fish. Most likely, he's either a cockerel that is a late bloomer, or a hen that has some dominance issues with your other hen, hence why she/he only seems interested in her. And again, I want to emphasise how rare it is for a chicken to change gender. Post some pictures of how they are now, and some from when they were younger, so we can see if it truly changed gender (again, highly unlikely)

This is not correct! This is how bad information travels like wildfire through this website. Listen to aart
Ok for real y’all I know this (checking for sperm) is not the only way to check. hackle saddle and sickle feathers are good indicators too, I was tired when I posted last night, couldn’t remember other ways at the moment, please don’t bash my info, I’ve found it to be true several times over. I think I’m this case pictures would help everyone.

Sounds pretty crazy.
Where did you get these birds?
How old(in weeks or months) were they when you got them and how old are they now?
Did you just toss the news ones in or do some kind of integration?
What is their housing like, size of coop and run in feet by feet?
Dimension and pics would help here.

Finally, the way to determine the gender of a chicken is not by looking for sperm after a male mounts. Pics of birds showing hackle(around neck) and saddle(above tail) feathers is.

Back
Top Bottom