Transferring chicks into cooler climate location...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cnicho05, Feb 23, 2014.

1. cnicho05

cnicho05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2014
    Owosso, MI
    Hello,

A few days ago I purchased 4 -- Rhode Island Red's and 2 -- Black Jersey Giants. This is only my second year raising chicks and I am confronted with a simple problem. Locally, in the state of Michigan, the weather has been floating around the 10-20* mark during the day. With this said, I've kept my chicks in a warm location within my home. Since I've purchased them they have thrived and been really active...running around my brooder, eating and drinking and resting throughout the day.

Since I have several cats in my home I would like to transfer my chicks outside of my direct living area into my garage. Due to the cold temperature outdoors I've been reluctant to make the move. Currently, my garage temperature has been around 30-40* throughout the day and evenings.

If I kept my heating lamp (120 watt clear bulb) with my chicks when will it be possible to move them into this garage environment safely? I have read that making such a transition to early can stunt the growth of chickens and delay the egg laying process. Again, this is something I would like to stay away from at this time...

2. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    I would get a thermometer and set up the light where you would be moving them. If it registers any lower than 5 degrees or so from than where they currently are, you could be in for an issue. You never want to drop their temperature drastically, you don't just risk stunting their growth, you also risk them getting chilled and dying. You may be able to raise the wattage of the bulb in the new area to get that area close to the same temperature as where you are currently keeping them, but monitor that temperature and make sure.

3. cnicho05

cnicho05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2014
    Owosso, MI
    Thanks for the reply...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by