Transferring the flock to the coop. At 8 weeks?

twinkiemomma

In the Brooder
May 13, 2016
Pennsylvania
We moved our three supposed to be 8 week old pullets outside today. Expected highs are around 59 tomorrow with lows dipping to 39. Is this too cold??!! Today was almost 80 and now low at night 43. I'm just worried! Thank you!

At 8 weeks I would think they would be fine. At that point they are fully feathered. Have they been outside on "field trips"? I ask because we put ours out at 6 weeks and it was still getting down to around 45-48 some nights but I had been bringing them outside since week 1 when it was warm enough and as they got older I took them out even if it was only in the 50's. So I think by the time I was ready to let them move to the coop I was sure they would be fine. I still worried!!!!! But with my second batch of chicks I don't worried as much....kinda like when you have your second child your not as crazy!

To me it is. I don't introduce to flock at 8 weeks. Too much pecking for me.
Instead, at 6 weeks, they get daily trips to run of their own. Usually a couple 3 hrs to start acclimating to existing group. I bought a small run at TSC and closed in back since it is supposed to attach to hutch.

Anyway...

6-8 weeks, they go in their own pen. Immune system still getting used to germs so all my breeds are separated from each flock until 12 weeks. They have feathers on wings but not beneath on mine much. I bring them in at night back to " baby cage" and cover on back porch if temps below 60. At lower than that, I use a small dog crate heating pad. I place thermometer inside and provide air vent and keep at 60-70 degrees.

8-10 weeks they now get to go out daily, all day same cage and now they get those hrs in afternoon, usually 5-7p with existing flock with supervision from them and flying preditors and roof removed so they can see what they should be running from and to watxh other girl's behaviors.

10-12 weeks... Still following 8-10 week routine BUT, they are now going to sleep in coop at night with "mean girls" so they can start learning their place and because the others find their roost and it allows the babies to quietly wonder around and check out without beng bothered. I will have a couple of hens that have to keep EVERYONE in line so that teaches them to deal with them like a chicken. 1-2 chickens... I won't bother teaching, 5 hens on one and I am going in lol

12 weeks on, I make sure they are finding hiding spots from the sky, know where new feed and water supplies are and show aggression towards the existing flock during bullying. If not, back to their own until they get it.
If they are, then they have just become new members of our flock and usually begin laying at 17 weeks.

I am OCD when it comes to the birds.... DH wants to be a bird in my flock now lol I also know that everyone has to acclimate to their own temperature environment so each person learns what their chicks need. I would definately supply them with some type of heat at 48 even if just a regular heating pad in a larger tote. I use larger at that age... They produce their own heat as well.

This all started when my only child left my nest. It is work getting these little things through their steps. Lol I teach mine to perch on my arm like a falcon for viewing and also to sit in a small area and just be still for exhibition... I think it is harder on me than when I raised the kid but it keeps me busy lol.

Last edited:
I decided to leave them out tonight. The weather service issued a freeze warning for tomorrow night which will be about 20 degrees colder then tonight. Tonight is to be around 55. Also these are new birds new coop first time owners. We have no other birds. So pray all is well in the morning and just a sleepless night.
1f601.png
1f622.png
1f629.png

Back
Top Bottom