transgender chicken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CraterLakeChick, Sep 16, 2016.

1. CraterLakeChick

CraterLakeChick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2014
    I had my hens attacked by a dog this week, only 3 survived. Yesterday I noticed that the Leghorn hen who survived, was acting aggressive, today I go out to feed them and she is strutting around like a rooster, and crowed a couple of times ( attempted to crow)
    Could this be caused by the trama they went through? Could she think she is a rooster now? Please help. It is really kinda freaking me out

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Has the surviving hen ever laid an egg? If not are you sure she is a hen? Some hens do take over the rooster role, if there is none in the flock. But, this doesn't happen very often. An alpha hen doesn't need to crow to lead a flock.

Would you please post pictures of her, so we can make specific comments?. Sorry for your loss. Dogs(running loose) and raccoons are among the top predators.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto Dat^^^^

How old is she?
    I had an older hen(2 1/2 yo) start crowing recently....even tho I have a good cockbird, they do a duet every morning.
    Lost a couple birds to disease, one of whom was her good buddy, about same times this started crowing.
    Could be a pecking order thing<shrugs>
    She is in molt right now, and is on the cull list, but I might keep her just to see what happens in the long run.
    Will she start laying again after molting...and will she keep crowing? Time may tell.

4. CraterLakeChick

CraterLakeChick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2014
    She is 3 years old and yes she has been laying eggs. I will post a pic later, I actually have video of her trying to crow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by