Transgender Chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TinkleTurkey, Sep 26, 2010.

1. TinkleTurkey

TinkleTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Palmdale
    I'm pretty sure this is a hen, but its 6+ months old not laying and occasionally crows (although its sort of a muted crow)

Is this perhaps related to her breed or is my chicken truely a freak?

[​IMG]

2. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    She looks like a hen to me,maybe she confused.

3. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    That is definitely a hen. She is a Silver Sebright. I have heard reports of them crowing like the roos. How long have you had her?

4. TinkleTurkey

Apr 7, 2010
    Palmdale
    I've had her for at least 4 months, but she looked to be full grown when I bought her. They told me she was a youngin, but by this time she should definently be laying, yes?

Maybe I was duped and they sold me a geriatric hen!

Also, is there any way to determine if a chicken is aged? Do they show signs of old age? Do they get bald [​IMG] lol

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  5. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    She is a silver sebright pullet.... she isn't ready to lay yet... see the comb? Not blood red.

6. Rachel'sFlock

Rachel'sFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

no help, whatsoever, me, but I think that is a gorgeous bird!

Brightest Blessings

7. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    I haven't got an answer, but she is stunning!

8. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Its actually normal to get a hen to crow. She looks 100% female.
    I am assuming you dont own a rooster. usally it is more likely to happen if you dont have a rooster or the hen isnt being mated.

9. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    if you have no rooster one of the hens will be the flock leader and sometime (more often then youthink) they will crow a bit.

I'd say she is still young... I breed silver sebrights and have one pullet that is about 6-7 months old now and just started to lay.

Just be patient on the eggs. Sebrights are* not * (edited because I'm a tard) very good layers at all so it might be spring before you see your first one out of her. Definately a girl, though, no doubt about it.

Did you know chickens only use one overy and if that overy fails for some reason a hen will moult and come back with male feathers!? True! THey willnot lay eggs again but technically are hens. Peafowl are the same... I'm sure other poultry too, but I'm not so sure about them.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  10. TinkleTurkey

Apr 7, 2010
    Palmdale
    she is my only sebright at the moment. She lives with my serama hens + 1 serama rooster. I have seen him loving on the serama girls but when he tries to love on her she evades him. I guess she's just not ready!

I ordered some sebright eggs from ebay but I doubt they're going to hatch. Havent had any luck finding sebrights locally.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by