1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Transgender Chicken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by peartreehens, Aug 18, 2013.

1. peartreehens

peartreehens Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2013
    So this is Sarah. She's 21 wk welsummer pullet. She's had this red comb and wattle situation for at least a month. She's the alpha chicken, and super protective of the other girls (to the point of getting aggressive with me when I hold them).

[​IMG]

I'm assuming she's a pullet from her coloring, as well as her coloring as a chick. She hasn't crowed at all, but no eggs yet, either. On occasion she'll sit on a roost and open her mouth and hold it open like she's yawning (or crowing?), but no sound comes out. She's also starting to grow spurs.

So here's the question: if her face has been developed and red like this for a month, and still no eggs (no interest in nest boxes etc), do we think she'll still eventually lay? Or is she listing toward the transgendered-problem-with-my-left-ovary crowd?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    She looks like a perfectly normal Wellie pullet. She's only 21 weeks, just give her time. And not all hatchery Welsummers lay the terra-cotta egg, she may be laying a regular brown egg and you don't realize she's laying.

3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I agree...she is either close to laying or she may be laying somewhere you don't expect...go on an egg hunt. New layers often don't know to lay in the nest box or more often are discouraged by others...altho being an alpha it might be more of wanting to hide her eggs.

As to perching with mouth open....they do that to cool off...she probably has her wings spread a bit too.

Lady of McCamley

4. peartreehens

May 10, 2013
    Thanks for the hope! I know she's not laying yet as I only have 1 that's laying (my cuckoo marans), and I know it's her because she the only one to go in the nest boxes & when she leaves her favorite box, there's an egg. I check the run and the coop several times a day (I'm waiting on 7 pullets--somebody get a move on!)--they only have access to the lawn/yard when I'm supervising as we have so many hawks and coyotes here, and none has ever gone off alone. They all stick together on the lawn, so far. I'll try to be patient! thanks for the encouragement!

5. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Looks female to me too. But, though it's a slight chance, the furthest away red bird seems to have more typically male feathering on its neck and maybe rump. You might have a stealth rooster. I had a Wellie rooster who was of normal female appearance long after he should have been laying... And then he decided to be a rooster.

6. peartreehens

May 10, 2013
    that furthest one is an easter egger, for what it's worth.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree, unless it's laying you might want to post a pic of that red bird. Can't see it really well, but it looks like it could be roo-ish. then again, if they're all the same age, it would be a lot more obvious.

8. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    She's a she. She's just a bossypants. Once she matures more, you may even see her cover some of the other hens.

9. peartreehens

May 10, 2013
    these are my two EEs.

Kathy Selden
    [​IMG]

and Lina Lamont

[​IMG]

and here's another view of Ms Bossypants, Sargeant Sarah Brown. She's front right.
    [​IMG]
    that's Lina again next to Sarah. Kathy is behind Nellie (the buff orp). All these gals are 19-21 wks and no one is laying except Millie (cuckoo marans) and Janet (barred rock), both at the very back of this shot. Janet started just this afternoon! Yay!

thanks for the help, everyone!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  10. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    In a weird follow up of that...and not saying this is happening to the OP's hen or to Chooks4life's roo....

Science is often stranger than fiction and a hen CAN "change" into a rooster...ie stop laying eggs and develop male characteristics like male feathers, large comb and wattles.

It is rare and only happens when the female hen has some sort of an adrenal issue that shuts off the ovary and allows a dormant mechanism to kick in the androgens. She/he won't father chicks, but look like a rooster.

This article gives a good overview of it.
    http://www.livescience.com/13514-sex-change-chicken-gertie-hen-bertie-cockerel.html

My daughter said her vet studies indicated that sometimes when there are only hens in a flock, the dominant hen's dormant mechanism can kick in and she takes on the rooster aspects.

Interesting.
    Lady of McCamley

EDITED to say: OP's photos just came up after this post...and all your hens look lovely and all should be laying very, very soon. :D

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by