Transgender duck fertilising eggs?

WelshHarlequin01

Chirping
Apr 17, 2020
one of my female ducks went broody a few weeks ago, and I could not manage to get her off her eggs ; today I had a look at her nest to try and kick her off again, but I noticed one of the eggs was cracked. I candled it, and there is a lot of dark shadowing and a large air sack, which is the same with another egg (the rest are all still yolk and white). However, I have no drake, only a transgender who was female and now has male colourings and lays no eggs. Is it possible that it has fertilised these eggs? The eggs which are dark inside do not smell at all, and I’m pretty sure I saw them rocking slightly. Any help would be much appreciated!

Either a Wild Drake came and mated with your hens, or one of your "hens" is actually a male. No, females cant produce sperm, just like I can't give birth.

my transgender duck attacks any wild ducks that try to get in the pen with them, so it’s quite unlikely that a wild one would have mates with the females. Although, it does seem like that could be the case 😬

Back
Top Bottom