1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Transgender Hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickensrok, Jun 28, 2016.

1. chickensrok

chickensrok Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2015
    O my goodness I was just out looking at my chickens inside their run and I see one of them get on top of one of my hens. I have all hens. I knew that some hens could grow spurs and crow but I did not know that they can fertilize hens. Can hens change their gender?

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

can you post some pictures of this so-called hen?
    have you seen her lay?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  3. chickensrok

chickensrok Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2015
    Yes I have seen her lay eggs before she will be two years old this spring. [​IMG]

4. Poultry parent

it looks like a roo, it is however for chickens to be both a hen and a roo

5. cmarlowdrive

cmarlowdrive Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2016
    I have a hen that does that. I have read that when there is no rooster, a hen will take on the roll of a rooster in the flock.

6. Poultry parent

i mean like actually a hen and a roo, like they have the anatomy of both a hen and a roo

7. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Mounting isn't always about mating, it is also about dominance.

If a hen develops a reproductive disorder, she could potentially develop some male characteristics. However it is far from common. Even if it did occur, the bird is still genetically a female. Fertilization cannot happen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by