Transit time for shipped eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Arielle, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    How many days does it take for the USPS to deliver hatching eggs? And what method do you ship eggs for best results? Or is the wrapping and packaging more important for the eggs to survive the USPS??

2. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I ordered 1 dozen silkie eggs three weeks ago and just received them today. I ordered from Mypetchicken and they wrapped them up good! Not a single one was broken! It is a long wait but it's soo worth it!

3. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I ship priority mail which takes 2-3 days depending on where I am shipping to.

4. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I ordered some hatching eggs from a breeder. They arrived 2 days after she shipped them [​IMG]

5. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    After it ships it always takes 2-3 days. Never later.

But, if the box is marked fragile, I will warn you, the workers don't care. The first time I bought eggs, the box was marked FRAGILE in fat red marker on each side of the box and still 2 came broken. [​IMG]

And when I bought quail eggs, it was marked LIVE EGGS VERY FRAGILE but they didn't bother putting it in an air conditioned truck on a day that was 105 degrees. 1 out of 20 hatched. It all depends on the packing and the heat.

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    it depends on were you order them from dont always trust the tracking as mine arraived 2 days late [​IMG] due to the post office

most hatcheries are out right now and the hens slow down laying in the winter so you might have to wait a bit longer now than you would have to during the summer

oh yea the post office workers really dont care about the package they will toss it and stack things on it ect

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  7. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Quote:QUITE a diff. experience with me. Ordered 1 dozen eggs and 9 arrived (what!!!!!!!!!????????) and one was cracked [​IMG]
    So i emailed them, replied 3 days later asking me to show them a picture of egg in original packaging. RAWRZUMZ!!! Sorry, MPC, my box is open and the carton is too. Really!? Next time im trying McMurray, ya stupid little hatchery [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I ship priority. Usually 2 days

9. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Has anyone tried "fooling" the USPS by shipping hatching eggs in chick boxes??? They do seem to treat the chicks with kid gloves. Or is it the effect of the overnight shipping?

10. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    I ordered mine from mypetchicken last friday got them today i ordered 6 i got 9!! They shipped two days ago.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by