Transition baby chicks with older chicks

tkwilliams83

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 9, 2013
Hello everyone so I have two girls a Easter egger and a buff brahma that are about 18 weeks. How do I transfer my 5 week old frizzle cochin and silkie in to the coop?

I don't know how well that will work. Your chicks should really be much larger and actually SOUND like older chickens when you move them into an established flock. I personally would place them in a container, like a dog kennel or crate, and put them in with the big girls for a few hours each day. They can get used to each other while not having contact. My 10 week old chicks are currently in my chicken tractor and my hens have the coop part at the back. The pop door is shut to keep them separate. The hens (who free range) have been visiting the chicks through the wire and so far so good. I will start to integrate them when my larger coop is finished (probably a month or two) and the chicks are old enough to know where home is. A lot of room is important as the smaller birds need places to escape to or hide if the bigger girls pick at them too much.

Back
Top Bottom