Transition from crumble to pellets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dogdollar, Aug 23, 2010.

1. dogdollar

dogdollar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    My birds had crumble everywhere and it was creating a huge mess and attracting insects, so I switched to pellets (same food).
    They don't appear to be eating the pellets as heartily....to the point I worry they might not be getting enough to eat at all right now. Should I just give it more time or give up and go back to crumble?
    Thanks,
    DD

2. Lifetime chicken lover

Lifetime chicken lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    Rogers, MN
    My chickens don't like the pellets either....I don't know... there were some suggestions in my post "my chickens hate layena".

3. harewizard

harewizard Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:Hi DD,
    I would wait a little while and see. Remember pellets are more filling as they are bigger. If you have crumble left, you can add the 2 together. This is what I did. Do you feed free choice or resticted? If restricted, you may want to let them eat free choice. And before the chickens bedtime, check their crops- If they are full and bulging, they are eating enough on their own.

HTH, [​IMG]
    Lisa

4. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    Mine didn't like to eat them at first but I listened to the feed store and stuck with it. They have done well.

5. ray2310

ray2310 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Smithfield, PA
    Have you checked their crops? Ours did not look like they were eating a lot but their crops are always full so I guess they are.

6. peanut1

peanut1 New Egg

May 13, 2008
    Funny mine are the same way! Wont eat pellets so I use crumble. They win!

7. Ruth Ann

Ruth Ann Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    South Carolina
    When we did the switch I had a few crumbles left...so mixed. But I think they prefer the pellets.
    Lot less waste too.

8. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I switched from crumble to pellets within the last 2 months. They were wasting so much and with my 2 geese they kept acting like it was getting stuck so livestock supply told me to mix it with the pellets and they are find now. They are also making less mess. Yea that is what I like.

9. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    I would just give them time to adjust. I know that a chicken will not starve themselves to death, just because they don't prefer pellets. If they get hungry enough they will eat them and get use to it. Will

10. Ironmaiden

Ironmaiden Chicken Maiden

Jun 14, 2010
    Kansas
    Good advice. I'd like to switch to pellets as well, although mine have had less waste since I've hung the feeder up a bit higher.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by