Transition space between dog crate and coop for baby chicks

eggfooyung

Songster
14 Years
Mar 2, 2009
What is a transition setup between large dog crate and the coop for 5 chicks 3 weeks old? It's still too cool in Maine to put them in coop, and they'll be outgrowing the large dog crate in another week or two.

What is a transition setup between large dog crate and the coop for 5 chicks 3 weeks old? It's still too cool in Maine to put them in coop, and they'll be outgrowing the large dog crate in another week or two.
I just moved my 2 week old chicks to the chicken tractor with a heat lamp. They survived last night without one and it was in the 40's. I did end up putting a heat lamp in on account of I didn't want them to suffer. I think your chicks would be fine in the coop with a heat lamp.

In another week or two they should be able to go out in the coop without heat, unless you have unusually low temps or unusually feathered chicks (Silkie, frizzle, etc). If you haven't already done so, actively work on getting them weaned off heat during that period, and maybe take them out during days to further acclimate them to the outdoors.

I just moved my 2 week old chicks to the chicken tractor with a heat lamp. They survived last night without one and it was in the 40's. I did end up putting a heat lamp in on account of I didn't want them to suffer. I think your chicks would be fine in the coop with a heat lamp.
Great! what kind of chicken tractor do you have? I've been wanting to get one but there are bazillion to choose from! The girls will eventually go into their bir coop/ruyn, but I'd like a tractor to take them out for "a spin" without getting eaten by the foxes nearby

Great! what kind of chicken tractor do you have? I've been wanting to get one but there are bazillion to choose from! The girls will eventually go into their bir coop/ruyn, but I'd like a tractor to take them out for "a spin" without getting eaten by the foxes nearby
We actually copied the design my sister and brother-in-law use! It's basically just pvc pipes connected with chicken wire wrapped around it. It's lighter than wood and easier to pull around!

I’ve used a mobile dog pen — the accordion kind that you can arrange in a variety of shapes in the basement — the coolness down there helps transition them to outside temps. It’s a daylight basement with a walkout to the chicken area so I keep them by the door where the big & little girls can see each other.

I have a secondary coop outside this year with its own enclosed run which I haven’t had in past chick raising years. It has a wall heater so hoping to get them out there sooner rather than later this year and should make the transition smoother. but we’re in western NY so it’s still approaching freezing at night here — like Maine i imagine — so it’ll be a couple/few more weeks I think.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I’ve moved them to my enclosed sunporch, very warm during day and heat lamp at night, at least the mess of pine shavings are no longer in my office! I put netting over an arrangement of dog corral panels, so they’ve got more room and can’t fly out. Seems to be working so far!!

Back
Top Bottom