Transition to coop/outdoor run

kcal

Chirping
Apr 6, 2021
NW Illinois
Looking for info and tips on transitioning my chicks to their outdoor coop and run. They are 4.5 weeks old, so I know I have a little bit still but want to be prepared. They have an open brooder (the “walls” are hardware cloth), but it is in our climate controlled garage free of drafts. I had hoped to start bringing them outside for short periods of time with some supplemental heat, but we had a couple weeks of 15-25 degrees below normal temps. Temps are on the rise now and next week we will have a few days ranging between 70-80.
What I’m wondering is - when and what temps can I take them outside (with heat)? When can I start weaning them off the heat lamp? What temp does it need to be consistently both day and night for them to be in the coop with and without heat? I have no problem setting up a heat source in their coop to ease the transition and I also don’t mind having them outdoors during the day and bringing them in at night if that’s what is needed. I’m guessing some of this depends on feathering - they’re all large breeds so I believe their feathers are coming in a tad slower than smaller breeds. This is our first flock raising all on our own from day old chicks, so this process is all new to me - sorry for the lengthy post. Any help is appreciated!

Looking for info and tips on transitioning my chicks to their outdoor coop and run. They are 4.5 weeks old, so I know I have a little bit still but want to be prepared. They have an open brooder (the “walls” are hardware cloth), but it is in our climate controlled garage free of drafts. I had hoped to start bringing them outside for short periods of time with some supplemental heat, but we had a couple weeks of 15-25 degrees below normal temps. Temps are on the rise now and next week we will have a few days ranging between 70-80.
What I’m wondering is - when and what temps can I take them outside (with heat)? When can I start weaning them off the heat lamp? What temp does it need to be consistently both day and night for them to be in the coop with and without heat? I have no problem setting up a heat source in their coop to ease the transition and I also don’t mind having them outdoors during the day and bringing them in at night if that’s what is needed. I’m guessing some of this depends on feathering - they’re all large breeds so I believe their feathers are coming in a tad slower than smaller breeds. This is our first flock raising all on our own from day old chicks, so this process is all new to me - sorry for the lengthy post. Any help is appreciated!
I'd put them out now. If you are using a heat lamp, put a ceramic bulb in it. No more than 100 watts if you can find it. NOT a bulb for reptiles!
I'd set up a huddle box in a draft free corner of the coop for them to sleep in at night and aim the heat source near the mouth of the box. Turn the lamp off during the day.
I had a broody raise chicks when outdoor temps were in the low 20s during the day and the chicks scratched around with their mother until they started to get cold and she'd warm them for a while then they'd be back at it. These chicks were less than 2 weeks old.
Your chicks are much more feathered out and will do well outside. If they get chilled during the day, they can go back to their huddle box but I doubt they will.

I'd put them out now. If you are using a heat lamp, put a ceramic bulb in it. No more than 100 watts if you can find it. NOT a bulb for reptiles!
I'd set up a huddle box in a draft free corner of the coop for them to sleep in at night and aim the heat source near the mouth of the box. Turn the lamp off during the day.
I had a broody raise chicks when outdoor temps were in the low 20s during the day and the chicks scratched around with their mother until they started to get cold and she'd warm them for a while then they'd be back at it. These chicks were less than 2 weeks old.
Your chicks are much more feathered out and will do well outside. If they get chilled during the day, they can go back to their huddle box but I doubt they will.
Do you have a link for a ceramic bulb you suggest?

Back
Top Bottom