Transition to the new coop...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wheresmypeeps, Jul 7, 2011.

1. wheresmypeeps

wheresmypeeps Out Of The Brooder

Our coop is in place! Yea!!! The fencing is still temporary (needing final stability/some framing and posts), but the coop is up and the peeps and hens are in it... pretty much. They are learning to transition. First night appears the peeps slept huddled in a nesting box and the hens at the foot of the ramp, and so far nobody has learned to use the perches or explored to the shelves/ledges inside, but the eggs are appearing in the nesting boxes and they are coming and going, so they are slowly figuring it out. Any suggestions on the transition snags? [​IMG]

See pics on our "My BYC Page"

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  2. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    If you want them to start learning to roost you can go in at night and put them up on the roosts, then eventually they will just get in the habit of doing it themselves [​IMG]

3. wheresmypeeps

Quote:Thanks for the tip!! I will give it a try and let you know if it works for our silly hens... [​IMG] I'm so excited to see them use it the different areas, if possible. I even went in a couple of times this afternoon and put about several of the peeps (couple of months old) up on the 'loft' shelf. It has wired 'windows' so they can look out. They were pretty cute, actually, as they just walked around a few minutes then layed down for a nap.
    They obviously found their way down both times after their nap, so I am crossing my fingers! [​IMG]
    Pic of the nappy-peeps... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  4. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Might consider a temporary ladder to the roost to encourage the hens and as the chicks get stronger they can go higher till they are on the roost too

5. wheresmypeeps

Quote:Thanks for the advice! It is probably hard to see but there is a type of 'ladder' in the coop that goes up to the top shelf/ledge/loft area. I am not sure if they will figure out how to use the ladder, but I don't think they will be able to use it to get down. I am assuming they have to fly down.
    The perches are actually designed in a 'ladder' type of way [​IMG], and I am not sure if they used it right, but we did physically put the two adult hens into the coop last evening and closed them all in. We will do that again tonight if necessary. There is a window in the door so I will be spying on them and should be able to see where they perch. The young chickens are still sleeping in a bundle on the floor or a nesting box, though. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  6. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

Ours are still sleeping on the floor too - I was hoping "they would figure it out themselves" but after a week it looks like they are going to be getting evening roosting lessons [​IMG]
    Good luck with yours!

7. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    aw, cute napping peeps! [​IMG]

8. wheresmypeeps

Quote:Thanks! They are actually pretty sweet. I think they think I'm their mama or something?! [​IMG]

9. wheresmypeeps

Quote:Thanks! I am afraid I may be finding myself in need of doing the same thing! They had been re-entering the rabbit hutch, which we used for a brooder, at night, then they would all pile into the little box attached to the side of the hutch (one rabbit-sized) and sleep in a big pile scrunched in the box! Sooo... I am not completely shocked that they are still piling up. Silly peeps!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by