Transition

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenRandy, Apr 5, 2018.

1. ChickenRandy

ChickenRandy Hatching

Apr 4, 2018
    Omro, WI
    Hi, I am new to having chickens and got 6 hens that were already laying. All are in great condition and are under 2 years old from my understanding. I have had them for 6 days now but getting maybe one egg a day only. There has been a couple eggs outside the coop and some in the nesting boxes. Just wondering how long until they start feeling comfortable and start producing or how I can make them more comfortable? Thank you

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    It can take a few weeks or more for them to start laying again. It doesn't take much to throw them off for laying.

aart and Alaskan like this.
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!
    Give them time.
    Do you free range or have a secure run??
    Are the nests easy to get into and out of?
    Do you live in the northern hemisphere?

4. ChickenRandy

ChickenRandy Hatching

Apr 4, 2018
    Omro, WI
    They are in a big run. The nesting boxes are easy access, the food is starting to be eaten a little more along with the water. They found the roosting bars after two nights. I live in Wisconsin it’s been chilly and snowy the last couple of days. I have been throwing some treats in by them to help relax them and maybe make hem a little happier

5. Anndie

Anndie Chirping

Mar 28, 2018
    Amity, Oregon
    When it is cold , my hens cut way back on egg production. They are putting energy into staying warm.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Sounds pretty good, keep the treats to a minimum, tho treats are a good 'training' tool, it can keep them from eating their regular ration...new diet can throw them for a bit too. Just give them time.
    For birds under 2 years old they would just be starting back up laying anyway this time of year, more due to the day length than temperature.

Easy to add your location to your profile, then it's always there!
    upload_2018-4-7_6-36-39.png

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: