Transitioning an inside-confined pullet back outside w/ drastic temperature change

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Trish1974, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Trish1974

Trish1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2016
    North Central IN
    Hi all. I'm very hopeful my golden comet is on the mend. This is the first morning she didn't lay anything and appears to be normal. Just a quick synopsis...she has had a laying issue for 5 days now of dropping either a yolk, an egg white, or something that looks like a lash-egg but isn't. After she lays these things early in the morning she looks like she's going to die for about 4-6 hours (won't move, eat or drink) then slowly comes back to life and acts completely normal by evening. This is the first morning she has not repeated the pattern.

I have had her inside since Wednesday morning. I have kept her in my utility room which is the coolest room in the house, stays around 65-68 degrees in there. I am in Indiana and our outside temps are going to be right around 40 degrees for the next 3 days. I am not ready to put her back outside just yet...but when I do, is there something I need to do to ease her into those cooler temperatures (I don't have a heated coop) or are chickens hardy enough to withstand a sudden 25 degree temperature difference?

Any advice on transitioning would be greatly appreciated.

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd try to keep the room she is in as cool as possible.
    Shut the door to the rest of the house and open a window or two.

Putting the crate out in the coop would be ideal.
    That way she still has rapport with the flock,
    but is confined so you can monitor her eating drinking pooping etc.

How do her poops look?

3. Trish1974

Trish1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2016
    North Central IN
    Her poop looks great and always has since this whole thing started. Such a bizarre mystery. I will go crack a window now and gradually lower the temp. Thanks again for all the advice you've given me, aart! By the way, I cut open the lash-egg lookalike and it was all yolk inside.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I saw that, and that's good...but the subsequent laying and behavior described in your first post here is very concerning,
    added to the fact that she's been laying fine for a couple months before this started as described in your other thread.
    Will be curious to see what a happens tomorrow, sounds like today might be a 'day off'.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by