Transitioning chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by donsgirl67, Dec 3, 2013.

1. donsgirl67

donsgirl67 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2013
    De Soto, MO
    Help my chicken friends. I am very new. I have my first chicks, 4 Barred Rock and 4 Black Stars. They are 20 days old and I haven indoors in a brooder. I need advice on the best way to transition them to the outside coop. I know it's way too soon but I want to get prepared. I have a coop and an enclosed run. I live in Southeast Missouri.[​IMG]

2. shannondee12

shannondee12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    Left Hand, WV
    What I did was to take them out to the coop and lock them up in there for several more weeks. Keeping with my same routine of every morning feeding and water, petting, playing with them. I took them out to my small raised coop because they out grew the brooder at around 3-4 weeks. After a week or 2 in the coop, I started letting them out into the run supervised starting at an hour a day and going up from there. After 3-4 weeks in the coop/run, I started letting them out to free range supervised for an hour a day and again, going up from there. They are now 15 weeks old and I let them out every morning and if I don't get to them before dusk, they are in the run waiting on me in the evenings to close up the gate.

3. MyPetNugget

MyPetNugget Enjoying the cold!!!

They are old enough for supervised free ranging now.[​IMG]

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If they were mine they would already be outdoors. The last time I raised chicks in a brooder, my "brooder" was a separate room in my coop with one heat lamp hanging from above. By 3 weeks they were avoiding the heat, even though I'd already raised it, so I turned it off. Outside temps were 55 or 50 lows, maybe 80 high. So my experience is, they're a lot closer than you think. You can certainly start weaning them off any heat by now. Then start taking them outdoors in their run for short periods. Maybe have a small cardboard box with an open side or the like in there, so if they want to go in, you can easily tell..

This might interest you. This man has many years experience:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/735392/redneck-fungshui-brooding-17-degree-temperatures/0_20

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  5. MyPetNugget

MyPetNugget Enjoying the cold!!!

Same here. We put the whole box outside and they just flew right out! Within about 30 seconds all 16 chicks were out of the box. After they had played about 2 hours,I would put them all back in the box and bring them back in. You can let them out for more play time each day.

6. donsgirl67

donsgirl67 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2013
    De Soto, MO
    Great!! Thank you all. I was worried about the cold temperatures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by