Transitioning from Medicated Feed - Too Soon?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by buffy-the-eggpile-layer, Jul 22, 2019.

1. buffy-the-eggpile-layer

buffy-the-eggpile-layer Chirping

May 29, 2019
    Hi all! I've read a lot of conflicting information on when to switch chicks from a medicated starter to an unmedicated starter/grower. Our chickens are currently 11 weeks old, and have been on Manna Pro's medicated starter from the beginning. We put them in their outdoor coop/run at 4 weeks (so they've been outside on medicated feed for about 7 weeks). So far they've been very healthy and happy.

We've just switched them over to a non-medicated, organic feed--Nature's Best Starter/Grower--and I'm having anxiety about whether this might have been to soon. We're currently mixing it in with their medicated feed until it's gone, which will only be a few days. Is that too quick a transition? Should I get another bag of medicated feed, or purchase Corid to use as a preventative?

Thank you in advance for your help!

2. UrbanHenKW123

UrbanHenKW123 Chirping

Jun 25, 2019
    Kitchener - Canada
    Following!

3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Definitely ready to be on an unmediated Grower feed. I switch at 6 weeks..

4. buffy-the-eggpile-layer

buffy-the-eggpile-layer Chirping

May 29, 2019
    Thanks!
    Thanks. It gets confusing because aside from the amprolium, there doesn't seem to be much difference between the two starter/grower formula's nutritional breakdowns. So I was reluctant to change it at the expense of making them more vulnerable to cocci. Good to hear from others on timeline--helps put my newbie mind at ease (thanks again!).

chickens really likes this.
  5. chickens really

The next stage of feed from starter Grower is Grower finisher feed and they can remain on that all their lives. Once layers you supply Oyster shell in a separate dish.

6. chickens really

Also all birds do have coccidiosis in the body but at a good level. Chicks though with little to no immunity can get over loads.

7. Folly's place

Folly's place Crossing the Road

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    They are certainly old enough, and more to the point, they've been outside on your ground for weeks already.
    Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: