Transitioning Rabbits outside?

JacksonPearce

Songster
6 Years
Aug 17, 2016
I am adopting rabbits and would like to transition them outdoors. I have a very predator proof chicken coop and would love to integrate the rabbits with my flock eventually, but for the time being, just outdoors is the goal! I'm in the south, and we're currently getting overnight lows of around 54ish; these rabbits, while fairly unsocialized, have been living indoors (they were rescued from an animal hoarder's home). What do they need to transition? I have a sweeter heater panel I could put into the hutch, and obviously I'll make sure they have lots of bedding to cuddle in while they grow in thicker fur. I've never owned rabbits before, so I appreciate advice!

Mine go through -20 Fahrenheit and don't even notice. There's a reason we turn bunnies into coat and gloves. Their fur is very warm.

Yes, I have no doubt they can handle it. They are very hardy. I think the heater is more for me to feel better about them out there : ) They do sit right next to it on the really bad days so I know they like it.

They will be fine to transition now. I use a panel coop heater with my rabbits only when it gets below 0 degrees, so you may never need that heater. They like the cold much better than the heat. When you hit your hot summer days, keep a fan on them and a never ending supply of water. At least that's what I do.

If you provide a house with lots of straw they will burrow deep into it and will do just fine. I have 5 Baby Bunnies outside with Momma and they play outside with Momma and burrow into the straw when they get cold. I have a heat lamp on just to cut the over night lows but the water still gets ice on it.

I'm pretty certain you can transition them now, like what the other people are saying. :) I don't live in a place where it gets cold; usually we're lucky if we get down in the 30s/40s in the winter. We typically see 50s; 40s for the coldest weather. My bunnies, who live outside, do just fine when I put in a few blankets for them to snuggle on. (I'll also sometimes put a heat lamp out there for the rare night that the temperature dips into the 30s) If you have a pair, they will also be able to keep each other warm.

I think if it gets cold enough for you that straw would work fine. It would probably be what I would use if it got colder here. I've tried using a box and lining it with blankets but they peed and pooed in it. :sick

Back
Top Bottom