transitioning silkies to fall/winter accomodations

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sandrachx, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Sandrachx

Sandrachx Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2007
    Chelsea, MI
    i am a first time silkie owner and wonder about sleeping habits of older silkies. my silkies are now 4 months old. they have been in their own mini-coop for almost 2 months while mingling with the other assorted adults during the day. as the cooler weather comes, i am preparing to winterize the main coop and will need to close up the mini-coop until next spring. this means transitioning the youngsters to the main coop for the colder weather:
    - do adult silkies still sleep on top of each other, in a pile?
    - do silkies roost like the bantam cochins?
    - if i prepare a deep littler area in a corner, would that be sufficient for sleeping?
    - how do other silkie owners manage nesting boxes for silkies? my current boxes are 3.5 feet from floor.

thanks for help!

2. dixie chicken

dixie chicken Out Of The Brooder

My silkes have the ability to sleep on the floor of their house or in a roost about 1 ft off the ground. I find them sleeping in both areas and neither one on a consistent basis. In the winter, they just huddle up together wherever the group settles - on the floor or on the roost. We do not have terrible winters here. All of my silkies lay in a nest in the corner on the floor. Silkies can only fly up a few feet at the most and it is a half hearted non specific flight. They will walk up ramps if you provide one and they are shown what is at the top of the ramp. I had my silkies in a coop where the house was a good 4' off the ground and we put a 2x4 board covered with a small hole wire on top as a ramp going up to the coop. The wire is there so they could get foot traction. I had to go out and put them up in their coop a few nights until they figured it out. Hope this helps.

3. Sandrachx

Sandrachx Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2007
    Chelsea, MI
    what do you do about nesting boxes? my husband also suggested putting in a small ledge with a ramp for roosting. we do have a moveable roosting pole mounted on small 2x4 blocks for the silkies; so far it is just a piece of exercise equipment for the silkie kids!

4. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    My nesting boxes are floor level right now. I have to winterize their coop very soon. Again, we have mild winters here.

As for roosts, mine don't bother.... they like to nest up in some straw in the corner.

5. dixie chicken

dixie chicken Out Of The Brooder

Silkies will lay in the corner on the litter. They are not picky. I have a couple platic milk crates on the floor with straw in them. I have some hens that lay in the crate and some that nestled out their own nest somewhere else in the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by