Transitioning to a new home

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Irrintzina, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Irrintzina

Irrintzina Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2010
    Salt Lake City
    I have just purchased a chicken tractor. The chickens that will come with the new coop have been part a larger flock raised to send out with the coops.

What can I do to help them transition to a new home ? There will be three new babes that have just started laying.

They will only be in the coop when I am not home to watch them in the backyard and of course at night.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    [​IMG] Welcome to the forum! [​IMG] Glad you are here! [​IMG]

I assume these are your only chickens. The best thing is to just give them food and water and protection from predators. I'd leave them locked in the coop/tractor for about a week so they know it is home and will go into it at night for roosting. If you let them out before they recognize the tractor as home, they may go looking for home or want to roost where you don't want them to. Keeping them in the coop a while also helps get them to lay in the nest box instead of hiding the nest on you.

Don't be too surprised if they stop laying for a few days or maybe even a couple of weeks. Chickens don't like change and here they have a totally new home to get used to. In addition, you have taken them from the flock so they have to establish the pecking order in their new three chicken flock. They may establish the pecking order fairly calmly or there may be some serious fighting. It is something they have to do so they know how to co-exist in their new flock.

Good luck! I think you will enjoy the experience.

3. Irrintzina

Irrintzina Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2010
    Salt Lake City
    Thank you !
    I am looking forward to the new adventure.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by