Transitioning to a soy/ corn free feed? advice? Cascade feed...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by vjbakke, Jun 14, 2011.

1. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    We will be switching from Organic pride grower ( corn and soy based) to Magill Ranch Casdade organic grower witch is corn and soy free. What is the best way to transition to this new feed? I have e mailed Magill Ranch about this however have not heard back yet.

Thanks

2. vjbakke

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    Anyone?

3. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    You probably won't have any problems at all. I was using Nutrena layer pellets. When I put the Cascade mash into the feeder you'd think the girls hadn't eaten in a week. All you could hear was "UMMM NOM NOM NOM NOM" . Eggs from it (and all their other goodies) are beautiful. Zero complaints here (except I wish I could get someone to stock it locally). Enjoy, you lucky birdies!!

4. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    I feed Cascade Organic soy and corn free mash and my girls love it and lay beautifully. [​IMG]

Any transition should be done slowly. Start by adding 10-25% of the new feed and the balance the older feed. Continue increasing the new feed and decreasing the old feed every 3 days or so until complete switch completed in no less than 12 days. This helps them get used to it (chickens dislike change) and therefore avoids any stress in doing so.

5. vjbakke

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    Thanks. I should have enough of the old feed to transition from.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by