Transitioning to coop in hot weather

DanaH

In the Brooder
May 10, 2020
I want to move my 4 week old chicks into their coop since the weather is so wRm and they are getting really big for their box! They are currently in my garage and it is about 85 degrees in there on a warm day but the coop temp is even hotter. Today it was 91. I’m told that it’s a good idea to keep the chicks in the coop for a couple of days to get them used to it and they know where to go at night but I think it’s too hot. Any thoughts? It’s early July and I think it will be a hot And humid summer In northern Virginia.

I want to move my 4 week old chicks into their coop since the weather is so wRm and they are getting really big for their box! They are currently in my garage and it is about 85 degrees in there on a warm day but the coop temp is even hotter. Today it was 91. I’m told that it’s a good idea to keep the chicks in the coop for a couple of days to get them used to it and they know where to go at night but I think it’s too hot. Any thoughts? It’s early July and I think it will be a hot And humid summer In northern Virginia.
Why is the coop hotter than the garage?

Does the coop need more ventilation?

Often in warm climates you really want at least one wall solid hardware cloth.

Make a window that can be opened and closed w/1/4" screen in the frame. That way you can open it and let air through. Even one on each side will circulate the air through. Place the screen on the inside frame of the coop.

I am also thinking about transitioning my chicks. They are 4 weeks and I am doing a trial now in their run. It is currently 95 outside and will get to roughly 105. They are definitely panting and have been out for about 20 min. Our house is cooled by a swamp and stays between 80-85 so that is what they are use to. Curious what you all think...?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    983.8 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    990 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    658.3 KB · Views: 6
I am also thinking about transitioning my chicks. They are 4 weeks and I am doing a trial now in their run. It is currently 95 outside and will get to roughly 105. They are definitely panting and have been out for about 20 min. Our house is cooled by a swamp and stays between 80-85 so that is what they are use to. Curious what you all think...?
You might need to implement some ways to help them cool off (fans, misters, etc.) or transition them more slowly

with highs up to 105, the birds in the picture for chicksnboys need extra cooling. some have feathered heads and necks but many don't, so are still not as capable of keeping cool.

You'd want to have a timer so the heat (if still used) only comes on when the temperature is in the 70's (depending what you've got them used to by now), and put out ice bottles, ice cubes, a tray of bricks sitting half way up in cool water, etc. Fan and mister too if at all possible.

If the temp only gets to 95, it's not as bad, unless you find out the hard way that the local weather station has better shade than your coop/pen of course. It might pay to take a reliable thermometer outside and figure out that if the local weather says it's X degrees, how hot is it really in the coop?

The wing and tail feathers are just for flight, it's the back, chest, neck and head feathers that are critical to body temperature control. Last year I kept some andalusians in the house until they were a month old, because it was too hot for them outside.

I'm close by in Fauquier County, so our temperatures are the same. I transitioned my new batch late June, and it was hot then. I let them have the run and coop during the day, and locked them in the coop at night. For the first two days, I herded them in the coop. After that they started going in on their own. It worked just fine. On really hot days I'll put a fan blowing in the run or a large, shallow container of ice for them to stand on and drink. Good luck

with highs up to 105, the birds in the picture for chicksnboys need extra cooling. some have feathered heads and necks but many don't, so are still not as capable of keeping cool.

You'd want to have a timer so the heat (if still used) only comes on when the temperature is in the 70's (depending what you've got them used to by now), and put out ice bottles, ice cubes, a tray of bricks sitting half way up in cool water, etc. Fan and mister too if at all possible.

If the temp only gets to 95, it's not as bad, unless you find out the hard way that the local weather station has better shade than your coop/pen of course. It might pay to take a reliable thermometer outside and figure out that if the local weather says it's X degrees, how hot is it really in the coop?

The wing and tail feathers are just for flight, it's the back, chest, neck and head feathers that are critical to body temperature control. Last year I kept some andalusians in the house until they were a month old, because it was too hot for them outside.
This is very helpful. This is only the first time I have raised chickens and I appreciate the advice! Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom