Transitioning younger chicks with older chicks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CrazyChickGirl, Mar 1, 2014.

1. CrazyChickGirl

CrazyChickGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2014
    Hi! Our 3 older chicks (about 7 weeks) are outside in their coop while our 3 younger chicks (about 5 weeks) are still inside. We have always had them separate, but close. We are getting ready to transition our younger ones outside. I've been letting them play in a enclosure outside where the bigger chicks free range for a few hours each day, slowly extending the time. So they can see each other, but not touch. Today I opened their enclosure for a few hours... their was lots of chasing, pecking, and all around bullying. The bigger chicks actually went into their enclosure and took over! lol. Eating their food and water and taking naps. Is this ok? Normal? Am I going about it the right way? Should I wait till they are all older, or is it best to get it done now? I'd like the younger chicks to start sleeping in the coop in about a week or so if all works out. Thanks for any advice.

2. chad-o

chad-o Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    You doing everything correctly anytime you introduce others into the flock. They should be separate but where they can see each other exactly like you've done. This is the only safe way to introduce the birds to each other. You're always going to have the chasing and pecking until they find their place in the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by