Translucent Chicken Coop....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, Oct 6, 2011.

1. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I admire artistic people!

3. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Very interesting except for the part about it not being predator-proof. I like the idea of natural lighting though.
    The commentor at the bottom of the page brought up an interesting point about poo...I imagine it would not look very pretty stuck to the visqueen!

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Hope it doesn't get too hot in there! A wood shed gets hot with birds, what would a green house coop end up being on a mid summer day!

5. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Now that is cool!! [​IMG]

6. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Quote:Exactly my thought.
    Interesting though for ability to allow light but I'd think it would be a sauna in there.

7. Tivona

Tivona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Nice coop. My neighbors have a chicken coop similar to that. Its not quite as artsy. It has a solid roof with a wooden frame with wire on the inside to prevent predators and fiberglass on the outside of the frame. They used the corrugated type of fiberglass. They have a section of double layer wire mesh at the top couple of inches with no fiberglass at the top on the walls allowing venting under the roof eves. The door is wire mesh. Works well for them. Its bright and airy and not to hot in summer but I have no idea how it would work for ducks...I keep looking at it and planing to make something like it one day. The only thing I didn't like about theirs was that it looks very hard to clean between the wire and the fiberglass. Perhaps a kind of hybrid coop between the one you posted and my neighbors with the fiberglass (not corrugated) and the wire mesh against it would be less hassle to clean out cobwebs, dust and whatnot I'm thinking.

8. RunnerWhisperer

RunnerWhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Very neat, but I agree about it getting too hot maybe for them!? I like the artistic approach though very nice!!

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It is neat looking but I was looking for windows for ventilation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by