1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Transportation Cages

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by enggass, Dec 30, 2010.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Where can I find a low cost Poultry Trans Cage to take my birds for processing?
    The cheapest I can seem to find online are around $60... What do you all use?
    Something that can hold around 10 birds +/- and can be loaded into a pickup.

Thanks.

2. DianeS

DianeS Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Oregon
    Does your processor allow you to use a dog crate? That's what most people around here use - the size for a German Shepherd or Golden Retriever. They can be purchased used for $10-$15 usually. (At least here.)

3. terri9630

terri9630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    I use our rabbit carrier when we need to move the birds. I had 13 pullets in a 3 hole/section carrier yesterday when the wind was trying to flip their pen over. Full grown I can usually fit 2 birds per hole when we go to the fair. I made my own but bass equipment has them up to 3 holes.

4. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    I use a dog crate, large one. Just make sure your processor allows it. I think some don't.

5. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    check with your processor, some let you come and get carriers the day before from them

6. RoosterGeek

RoosterGeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2010
    Lebanon, TN
    Produce (banana and apple/orange) boxes work well as long as they are the taller ones. And supermarkets usually throw them away. Banana boxes are pretty heavy duty, but the more spindly ones could have a cut of cardboard put in the bottom to stiffen it up.

I wouldn't think that your processor would have a problem with something that previously held food. [​IMG]

I personally just put my bird in trunk of my Corolla and lined it with feed bags and a tarp beforehand. I think took a scrap piece of 2 X 4 welded wire fence and bent it to cover the trunk opening before closing the lid. The processor I used just transferred them to their crates as needed. Beware though, if you do this, the country boys will roll with laughter upon seeing it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by