Transportation

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chick2chicken, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Chick2chicken

Chick2chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2017
    In a few days I'm going to go pick up some chickens. This will be my first time with chickens so I don't know if this question is reasonable or not. Is there something I should do for the chickens while they are in my car for about four to five hours? I was thinking maybe getting them some food or something? Do you have any tips, anything will help.
    thanks
    chick2chicken
    also I don’t know if this category is the best for my question but i thought it was the closest.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!
    Are you picking up chicks or grown birds? You can certainly offer feed and or water (or some melon for hydration), but it isn't necessary for that sort of trip. For chicks you may need to consider some "hand warmers" to provide a little extra comfort in the box, but for adult birds that will not be needed - adult birds tend to settle down and just ride out the trip after the first few minutes of getting settled.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Adult chickens, or chicks over say 4 weeks....they will be fine for the trip. Trying to give food or water will usually just make a mess. I prefer to transport in enclosed, dark containers. The dark lulls them into sleeping most of the trip, keeping them calm and content. Just make sure there are air holes [​IMG].

Little chicks, they'll still be fine without food or water that long, but you may need to give them some heat. Depends on how warm you're willing to keep your car [​IMG]. I like things on the cooler side myself, so I would give littles a hand warmer or bottle of warm water for that long of a trip. Under an hour, I don't do anything.

4. Chick2chicken

Mar 19, 2017
    Thank you so much!

5. Chick2chicken

Mar 19, 2017
    Thanks so much for the information!
    It really helped. Do you know if it would be okay if I put two of the hens in the same box, the box looks like it would be big enough for two but I feel like putting two birds in one box could end up in some sort of fight between hens.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If they've lived together, it should be fine. But if you're concerned, take two boxes.

7. Chick2chicken

Mar 19, 2017
    Thanks so much for the information, it helps a lot when your a newbie like me! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Cardboard boxes should be fine with some good ventilation holes,
    assuming they are traveling in a closed car/van/truck protected from wind, rain, and extreme temps(especially heat).

They'll get pretty warm in a box even with ventilation.
    Never forget the time I had a batch of chicks in a tote temporarily(less than 30 minutes) while banding them all,
    man it was toasty in there even tho ambient temps were in the 50-60F.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Chick2chicken

Mar 19, 2017
    Thank you!

10. DeYoungs

DeYoungs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2017
    We transported three full grown per box with air holes and everything was great. Welcome and enjoy! Chick2chicken[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by