Transporting a rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bonsai, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Bonsai

Bonsai Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2011
    I'm not sure this is the right section, but I'm transporting a rooster (approx. 3-4 lbs) from the Sacramento area up to the Yuba City area. It's approx. a hour and change drive. Last time I transported my chickens I used a large dog carrier, but I have since given it away. My grandma has a small cat carrier I could use; I think that's too small though. I have read about using a bag and transporting it. Any other ideas? I want to make the drive the least stressful I can for my roo. I have pickup.

2. HetaChick

HetaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    California
    Hey! You're a neighbor! (pretty much :) I'm from Marysville)

I would recommend something covered and dark. I transported my hen by car and as long as she couldn't see outside she was okay. Maybe a large box covered with a towel or something? Unless you want to buy a new carrier for this. Maybe if you aren't the one driving and you'll be there hold him and cover with with a blanket to keep him calm?

Is he tame? How friendly he is to you would certainly affect the last part there.

3. Bonsai

Apr 3, 2011
    He's tame; but I'm driving. Like a large card box box?

4. HetaChick

May 31, 2011
    California
    If it's what you got i'd try it. You'll definitely have to cover it though so he doesn't freak out. Maybe put something in there too so he doesn't slide around too much?

5. Bonsai

Apr 3, 2011
    I'll check the cat carrier first; if that's too small, I'll go with the box. My only concern would be him sliding everywhere. I wonder what I could put in the box to weigh it down though...

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I moved from West Sacramento to the foothills last July, a 52 mile trip which actually takes an hour and 15 minutes at regular driving speed. With several car loads of chickens in boxes, you just don't drive "normally." Plus ducks and a goose.

They did slide around, because we didn't have stuff to put in the bottom of the boxes to keep them from sliding on the curves and rises. The boxes were packed pretty tightly, but the chickens slid inside the boxes. And there were a lot of curves - a LOT of 'em.

We arrived at night each time and just put the birds into the coop. turned out the light and shut the coop door when we were done. They were up before I was the next morning, and they were fine. Confused and arguing over who gets which roost and where is MY usual roost buddy. Nobody just sat there on the ground in shock over the previous night's unpleasant road trip.

Just sayin'.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  7. HetaChick

May 31, 2011
    California
    Maybe an old and thick towel blanket ? It would keep him from sliding and would weight it down
    a bit. It could also be washed when its all over

8. Bonsai

Apr 3, 2011
    The drive up to Sutter county is flat. So I doubt I'd have a problem with him sliding around.

I'm thinking of just using an old big cardboard box with a towel over it.

9. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    If he fits in the cat carrier, I'd use that. Even if it's snug. He doesn't need alot of room to move around. Actually, he'd be safer if he doesn't. Throw a blanket or towel over it to keep him calm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by