Transporting baby chicks home?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cambam31101, Mar 2, 2017.

1. cambam31101

cambam31101 New Egg

Mar 2, 2017
    My grandparents are driving to my house in a few weeks and are driving right by the hatchery. I am going to ask them to stop by and pick them up for me, but it is still a 2 hour drive to get to my house. What can I do to make the trip more comfortable for both the chicks and my grandparents. Do the have to have a warming pad or something near or under them or are they ok in a shipping box? Thanks so much!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    How many are you getting and what's the temperature where you are at? I would probably put them on the back seat or the floor of the car and cover the box with a towel to keep in the heat if there are enough chicks to huddle.

3. cambam31101

cambam31101 New Egg

Mar 2, 2017
    It is about 60 to 70 degrees here and I am wanting 5 golden comets. Thanks for the quick response!

4. jstanard

jstanard Just Hatched

Aug 8, 2016
    Ask that they pack a heat pack in with the chicks so they can snuggle for the trip

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    The car has a heater. Simply have them turn the heater up and leave the car warm. When I travel, the car is warm and I am in short sleeves. You could call the hatchery and ask them what they recommend for a 2 hour ride.

6. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    A hand warmer pack and a small towel to wrap it in. Note, air activated so box must be well-vented and it heats up quite hot so don't use in a tiny box.

I have some of the animal shipping packs for tropical fish and those are better for slow/controlled release but you're less likely to be able to get one at a local store. And, you really don't need 20-72 hours of heat. But, if the hatchery will give you one? Use it instead.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  7. ChxLadyCass

ChxLadyCass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2017
    La Junta, CO
    Great idea! I am having my mom bring me chicks that will be a day old home on an hour car ride tomorrow. I am going to use this set up!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by