1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Transporting baby chicks home?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MtnAly, May 14, 2008.

1. MtnAly

MtnAly Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    We are getting our 10 chicks either tomorrow (thursday) or Friday, depending on which types of chicks the 2 different feed stores get. Anyway, the drive home from one feed store is about 30 min, the other is about 15 min. What should I take to bring them home in? I was thinking of a small rubbermaid type box with some clean towels in the bottom, is that ok? It's supposed to be really warm here (I'm in CA) tomorrow so I'm really not worried about them getting chilled. Should I be? Should I put one of those microwaveable gel packs underneath the towls to make them warm and cozy??I was thinking I'll strap the box in one of my kid's carseats (they won't be with me at the time) so keep it from sliding around if DH can't go with me to hold them. Any other transportation tips?? Thanks!

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    They will be fine til you get them home in a tote like you said with a towel on the bottom to keep them from slipping...Most feedstores already have a little box with airholes they place the chicks in...They will not need extra warmth with that close a trip...

When you get them home just set them in whatever you have for their brooder box and make sure they know where the food and water are...that's it...keep them cozy....

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  3. MtnAly

MtnAly Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    Thanks...just wanted to make sure I had the right idea. [​IMG]

4. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    Congrats on getting babies. I just love mine i have 18 so far and I was gonna stop at 6. LOL. Yea right. LOL. Welcome and the best of luck.[​IMG][​IMG]:weee:ya

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by