Transporting baby chicks home?

MtnAly

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 21, 2008
We are getting our 10 chicks either tomorrow (thursday) or Friday, depending on which types of chicks the 2 different feed stores get. Anyway, the drive home from one feed store is about 30 min, the other is about 15 min. What should I take to bring them home in? I was thinking of a small rubbermaid type box with some clean towels in the bottom, is that ok? It's supposed to be really warm here (I'm in CA) tomorrow so I'm really not worried about them getting chilled. Should I be? Should I put one of those microwaveable gel packs underneath the towls to make them warm and cozy??I was thinking I'll strap the box in one of my kid's carseats (they won't be with me at the time) so keep it from sliding around if DH can't go with me to hold them. Any other transportation tips?? Thanks!

They will be fine til you get them home in a tote like you said with a towel on the bottom to keep them from slipping...Most feedstores already have a little box with airholes they place the chicks in...They will not need extra warmth with that close a trip...

When you get them home just set them in whatever you have for their brooder box and make sure they know where the food and water are...that's it...keep them cozy....

Last edited:
Thanks...just wanted to make sure I had the right idea.
smile.png

Congrats on getting babies. I just love mine i have 18 so far and I was gonna stop at 6. LOL. Yea right. LOL. Welcome and the best of luck.
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif
:weee:ya

Back
Top Bottom