Transporting chicks to another state.... Might hit a sore spot

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by porkchop48, Dec 27, 2011.

1. porkchop48

porkchop48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Malta, OH
    I vend a few semi local reptile shows. One of the ones I vend in is in PA.

And here is where people might get mad. Please do not comment nor read further if you have a problem with chicks being used as feeders.

My incubator will be arrive today. I plan to hatch a couple hatches out of it to restock my flock. I also plan to schedule a hatch so I have a fresh batch of chicks to take to the reptile shows with me to sell as feeders.

What if anything do I need to do about transporting them into a different state? Testing? Etc?

2. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    The rules for transporting livestock across state lines vary from one state to another. I'm not certain about birds, but I had to have a veterinarian issue me a health certificate to move goats. It was pretty cheap and not a big deal. You can get the exact laws by calling the state veterinarian for the state you are going to. You should be able to find the phone number by internet search.

3. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I talked to a gentleman here in Georgia that was moving to Missouri. He told me for all had to do and the penality, or whatever the fee was called he was going to have to pay, he was getting rid of his chickens and starting a new flock after he gets settled in. The cost was so much more than the worth of the chickens.[​IMG]

4. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Hatcheries ship their chicks all over the country so perhaps if you contact a hatchery they could point out permits you might need [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. ntink17

ntink17 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2011
    You need to contact the state veterinarian for the state you are traveling to. Testing requirements vary by state.

6. siberian

siberian Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    I Think that it's o.k. to take chickens into Pa, until they are 6 months old, then they have requirements.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by