1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Transporting chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sakmeht, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Sakmeht

Sakmeht Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    Hi all,

I'm going to be transporting some chicks by car in about a months time. It will be about an hour and a half trip. I'm going to be getting 12 and I'll plan to have a box with plenty of shavings and keep the car warm. I'm sure they'll be okay, but do you all plan some sort of backup warmth? I'm just wondering about the unexpected, like my car breaking down or some such.

2. Sakmeht

May 19, 2011
    Hmm, I may have just answered my own question. I have these 'little hotties' and you can stuff in your pockets in the winter and they stay really warm for several hours. I could bring a few of those and place them under the box on one side.

3. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    The heat packs should work as long as they are buried in the bedding and not in direct contact with the chicks. I sell baby chicks and most of the time they are fine without a heat pack. 12 of them will keep each other warm. I use small boxes with a couple of small air holes at the top. That way they will get ventilation without any direct drafts blowing in. I just sold some in January to a guy who was taking them to his home 180 miles away. He reported they got there just fine![​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  4. Sakmeht

May 19, 2011
    Sweet, thanks! I'm going to use old towels and bury the heat packs underneath if necessary. Our cars are in good shape so I don't really expect a breakdown or anything...

5. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    Make sure you can visually see the chicks, or have someone check on them during the drive. You might be surprised if the box is enclosed, heat will be trapped easily and they could even over-heat (panting, wings dropped to the sides) during the ride. Ventilation is important, and keep checking their behavior, they should be fine :)

6. Sakmeht

May 19, 2011
    Viola thanks, I'll definitely do that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by