Transporting eggs

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by BGerres, Feb 22, 2013.

1. BGerres

BGerres Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2013
    Hello I am new to Back yard Chickens and new to Chickens! I raise Guinea Fowl but am getting ready to introduce some Chickens to our Family. I have a friend who lives about 45 minutes away. She is going to get a rooster and let the hens produce some eggs for me to incubate.I have 2 questions. One is any Tips over than using starfoam egg cartons for travel?
    Two- Should I have her let the hens sit on the eggs and then collect them after 7 to 10 days? Or should I send her my extra egg turner and have her collect eggs daily?
    Thanks for any tips! [​IMG]

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Hi. Congrats - How exciting! I don't think you want to start incubating with the hen - she will stop laying and with transporting they may die. If you have a egg turner you can collect them (big end up) and put in a cool basement after 10 days hatching rate drops hugh. Using a egg carton to drive them to your house will work fine but, wrap them in paper towels so, they fit snug and don't bounce around. Let them sit for 6 hours before you set them. Good Luck.

3. BGerres

Feb 22, 2013
    thanks fried green eggs. Guineas are so different then chickens. A guinea wont go broody until there are about 20-30 eggs on the nest. So I wasn't sure about the Chicken Hens. We don't have any basements here in the South. But I told my friend that I would bring my egg turner over and we can set it up in the Garage.
    When she gets the New Rooster how many days do you think it will take for Him to meet and greet the 14 hens, (LOL) before we start collecting fertile eggs to go in the turner?

4. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
  5. BGerres

Feb 22, 2013
    Up-Date my friends have just sent me a pic of the Rooster Daddy. LOL
    Will find out more info later tonight as to his age and if the hens have been with Roosters before.
    getting excited!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by