Transporting Hens (Long car ride)

Philburt

Hatching
12 Years
Apr 2, 2007
Hey guys,

My wife and I are moving from Seattle to St. Louis very shortly and are loathe to leave behind our two hens (especially now that they've started laying!). It is a long drive and we are planning on making it in two days. We were thinking of putting Cadbury and Peeps in a largish pet carrier. We were curious about food/water (we were wondering if we could just feed them a high water content food, like melon) as well as any other hints any of you might have.

Thanks!

Phil

Try to keep them in the dark they are relaxed and sleeping for 2 days won't hurt them. When you take breaks, pit stops take off the covering so they can get a drink of water and give them a treat/food. I would hesitate on feeding them straight fruit for 2 days, might send them into diabetic shock haha.
lol.png

Just make sure you see that each has a good drink before you throw the cover back over the cage.

Bubba

PS Edit if you start your trip at night they will likely settle into the groove of being on the road. If you do it during the day, they will be stressed out prolly the whole time.

Last edited:
I travelled with my new additions just recently, only about 4 hours the first day, spent the night in a motel...well, I did, they slept in the cage under a cover in the car, then we continued for another 6 hours the next day.

They actually enjoyed watching the world go by as we cruised down I84 and I81 from Connecticut to West Virginia.

I kept a water dish in the cage, filled it whenever I had to stop, also their regular feed in a bowl and grit as well.
They got a side salad for dinner treat the first day, and side salad for lunch treat the next.
The cage (one of those collapsible dog travel cages) also had a roost for them as well.

Overall, I found it very easy to travel with them.
Here's a picture I took over my shoulder while I was driving:
HPIM1349.jpg

Oh, and as you can see, I lined the cage with cardboard box on the bottom and up the sides about half way, holding it in place with tape.
Then I put in about two or three inches of pine shavings.

And when the sun was beating down on our side of the car, I had one of those suction cuppie shadie thingies you can get in the baby section of WalMart or wherever (my SUV doesn't have tinted windows).

Hope this helps, and have a great trip!!

i dont quite understand what you are asking. you said you're leaving them behind? do you have a home for them or what? i am really confused...

Rosyposey,

Philburt said he loathes to leave them behind
Loathe= Really really really doesn't want to
Phil will be taking them with him and was asking advice on people who have made such moves before.

Bubba waves his magic wand and you are now unconfused!
lol.png

Bubba

They will be fine especially with you stopping on route. I moved from Napa Ca to Spokane Wa area last year. We did the drive in one day with over 60 birds. The next morning the first things off the trucks were their pens and by noon all were out and eating and drinking. A few hens even gave us breakfast in their boxes.

Thanks for all the replies everyone, and sorry for the confusion. It is great to hear that it doesn't sound like this will be quite the hassle we were envisioning.

Cheers,

Phil

Back
Top Bottom